Technical Advisor – Capacity Building
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Technical Advisor – Capacity Building
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
The goal of the global five-year USAID Medicines, Technologies and Pharmaceutical Services (MTaPS) Program is to help low- and middle-income countries to strengthen their pharmaceutical systems to ensure sustainable access to and appropriate use of safe, effective, quality-assured, and affordable essential medicines and pharmaceutical services. MTaPS, implemented by Management Sciences for Health (MSH) and partners, will provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health and Population (MOHP) and the Department of Drug Administration (DDA) including other relevant implementing agencies to strengthen pharmaceutical systems including pharmaceutical sector governance, regulatory systems, pharmaceutical management information systems, and improve patient-centered pharmaceutical services.
Technical Advisor – Capacity Building (TA-CAP) will under the leadership of the STA-RSS provide technical assistance to the DDA to strengthen regulation of medicines products in Nepal. The TA-CAP will assist in the development and implement the DDA institutional development plan and the five-year strategic plan. The TA-CAP will strengthen the regulatory system capacity by assisting in development, update and training materials and guidelines on registration, and good distribution or pharmacy practices. The TA-CAP will facilitate capacity building sessions with DDA staff and where needed pharmaceutical associations, wholesalers and pharmaceutical organizations. A key role for the TA-Cap will be to assist the DDA in the development and implementation of a quality management system with the development of a manual and creation of awareness and building quality management systems capacity. The TA-CAP will work closely with the other STA to build the necessary capacity at DDA to implement the pharmaceutical management information system Pharmadex and the modules on drug registration, pharmacovigilance, import export and inspection. The TA_CAP will also play an important role in building capacity in good pharmacy practices, medicines management and appropriate medicines use in bot government and private sector facilities. The TA-CAP will together with other MTaPS staff engage and orient private-sector pharmacies and wholesalers on new GXP requirement and develop and explore feasibility of intervention strategies for capacity building in GPP in public sector.
Technical Support 30%
- Support the DDA to build capacity in the pharmaceutical regulatory systems
- Contribute to the implementation of a quality management system at the DDA and its provincial offices.
- Work with STAs to develop and support in the implementation of guidelines and standard operating procedures to strengthen the quality management system at DDA and at provincial DDA level
- Develop the needed capacity for DDA staffs to implement the pharmaceutical management information system related to registration & marketing authorization, importation, exportation, pharmacovigilance and inspections.
- Attend technical and program update meetings when required and support in the preparation of contents for such meetings.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Capacity Building 40%
- Lead capacity building interventions of MTaPS program in Nepal
- Participate in capacity assessments of government and private sector health institutions and their human resources and collaborate internally and externally to develop capacity building strategies, materials and roll out plans.
- Contribute to the design of national capacity-building strategy.
- Contribute to the implementation of capacity building plans including their monitoring.
- Conduct training, coaching and supportive supervision as required.
- Develop training material and implement training for implementation of GXP guidelines and standard operating procedures for the DDA staffs and inspectors at central and provincial level.
- Develop and implement training material for implementation of GXP guidelines and standard operating procedures for the management of medicines in government and private sector health facilities & pharmacies.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of field assessment activities related to the management of medicines including the analyses of data.
- Coordinate with other MTaPS Nepal technical activities ensuring harmonized approach in line with MSH quality standards.
- Maintain close liaison and coordination with senior officials in the MOHP and DDA and other key stakeholders e.g. WHO, USAID implementing partners, to ensure technical assistance activities are carried out with their active participation for building ownership.
- Work closely with Management Division, the Ministry of Social Development in the provinces, external development partner supply chain working group, government and private sector health facilities & pharmacies and pharmaceutical organisation, wholesalers organisations and medicines manufacturers association on capacity building issues.
Monitoring & Evaluation 10%
- In coordination with the MEL team support the program for the establishment of mechanisms for collecting relevant data to their established indicators. Also participate in program review activities and provide adequate recommendations.
- After introduction and in collaboration with the HR responsible take responsibility for the upload into the training databases (Trainet and MEL plan indicator on training)
- Contribute to the adequate documentation and dissemination of program results and lessons learned, including the development and submission of project’s mandatory reports, technical documents and reports; and abstracts and articles for scientific journals and conferences.
- Support as needed the development of annual, quarterly and monthly update reports
Required: BSc or MSc degree in health-related field or equivalent
Preferred: Pharmacy, medicine, public health educated supplemented with capacity in i.e. training, communication and information sharing.
- At least four years of relevant experience in areas of pharmaceuticals, medicines products management and hands on experience in capacity building and training implementation,
- Considerable experience in the development of training material, organizing and implementing training events and experienced in the use of various capacity building methods and approaches.
- Excellent writing skills and experience in facilitation and motivation
- Specialized training and/or practical experience in conducting capacity assessments, and formulating capacity building strategy, plan and their implementation.
- Specialized experience and knowledge of the registration of medical products and medicine management (quality assurance, good pharmacy practices & supply chain).
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong people skills with the ability to develop others and to impart knowledge and experience in clear and respectful manner according to the stakeholder needs.
- Mentoring, training and coaching abilities.
- Ability to design and conduct knowledge & skill-building workshops and trainings. Facilitation and training skills.
- Strong networking, collaboration and advocacy skills.
- Strong analytical and research skills preferred.
- Ability to write and prepare training reports, training materials, documents and presentations. The TA-CAP must be strong and experienced in development of training material, implementing training and assessing impact.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Nepali are essential.
- Demonstrated intermediate skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a team.
- Good judgment for decision making.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability in consensus building and constructively leading a team.
- Travel requirements up to 40% at national levels.
- Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10 lbs., etc.
MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job requirements. MSH will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran and disability status. In compliance with U.S. Department of Labor Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Section 4212 of the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act, MSH has developed and maintains an affirmative action program and plan.
Interested candidates are requested to CLICK HERE to apply.