Senior Market System Development Officer
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Senior Market System Development Officer
Mott MacDonald is an employee-owned management, development and engineering consultancy serving the public and private sector around the world, with more than 16,000 staff worldwide. Our International Development Services Unit, IDS, operates portfolios within the international development sectors of Environment, Climate, Water, Roads, Rural & Urban Development, Education, Health, Social and Economic Development in over 40 countries. Together we implement and manage projects in developing countries and emerging economies around the world, supporting national governments and municipalities in policy, planning, project design and delivery. We are committed to support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and to provide our expertise to improve the lives of people in need.
Mott MacDonald is managing the DFID-funded programme: ‘Purnima: UK Support to Post-Earthquake Recovery in Nepal’ in four Districts (Gorkha, Dhading, Nuwakot, and Rasuwa). This programme aims to achieve long-term positive change in the lives of people in earthquake-affected regions of Nepal.
The implementation phase of the programme is commenced in July 2018 for a 4.5-year duration and will work in 41 rural and urban municipalities. It comprises five Output Areas:
- Support and capacity building to Government at central, district and local level in reconstruction planning.
- Reconstruction of rural infrastructure, including water supply, foot trails, footbridges, schools, public buildings, and potentially other types of infrastructure.
- Analysis of, and interventions to address, constraints to the private sector, including access to finance, supply of labour, materials and transport in the construction sector.
- Mobilizing and managing a Challenge Fund to leave no-one behind in the reconstruction effort.
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning.
Output 3, Private Sector Development (PSD) component seek to contribute to Build Back Better, the overall vision of Purnima Project through economic recovery.
Reporting to Private Sector Development (PSD) Lead, the Senior Market System Development Officer will have the following responsibilities:
Market System Development
- Identify the constraints and opportunities for MSMEs in the construction market system, support to design and implement the interventions to overcome the constraints and tap on the opportunities
- Make the SMEs in the construction sector competitive by helping them to develop /adopt innovative business models.
- Help the SMEs in branding and marketing of their products /services by developing effective marketing strategy
- Identify the major market actors in the construction market system and right incentives for them for adopting new practices while developing the conducive market system for MSMEs
- Engage with the service providers including Banks and Financial Institutions (BFIs) and help them to develop services more responsive to the needs and characteristic of SMEs
- Support the SMEs to strengthen their forward (Market) and backward (Services) linkages in the market system
- Back stop the field staffs implementing the market system development interventions
Integrating Market System Development Approach in other output areas
- Explore opportunities to apply market system development approach in other output areas of Purnima Project
- Provide Technical Assistance for applying market system development approach in other output areas
- Explore other opportunities for integration /synergy with other output areas and facilitate the integration /synergy
Women Economic Empowerment /Transformation
- Ensure that WEE lens is adopted during the analysis, intervention design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of the PSD component
- Closely work with output areas – 4 for Women economic transformation
Documentation and monitor
- Help PSD lead in process and progress documentation of PSD component
- Help to monitor and measure the changes in the market system due to the project interventions and document them
- Collect case stories and prepare knowledge documents
- Contribute in the periodic learning exercise of the project
Minimum Qualification and Requirements
Candidates should have:
- Masters Degree in Business Administration (MBA), Management or other relevant discipline with at least five years of work experience in Market System Development
- Good knowledge and experience on the Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) development preferably the enterprises of the construction materials
- Strong communication, analytical and report writing skills with fluency in spoken and written English and Nepali
- Knowledge and skills in basic computing, demonstrated inter-personal skills in working with a multi-disciplinary team
Contract period: 1 year
Duty Station : Kathmandu
Applications: to Purnimaapplications@mottmac.com by 21st June. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.