PHASE Nepal is a non-governmental, non-profit making, non-political and an equal employment opportunity providing organization, registered under Social Development Act, 2034 at District Administration Office, Kathmandu, and is affiliated with Social Welfare Council of Nepal. For the last 13 years, PHASE Nepal has been improving the livelihoods of poor communities in Humla, Bajura, Mugu, Gorkha, Dhading, Chitwan, Nuwakot, Kathmandu, and Sindhupalchok districts by providing immediate support through health care and education services, and creating opportunities in communities for self-empowerment.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Part I: Job Identity
PHASE Nepal is a well-established and fully Nepali-led National NGO. It was established in 2006 by a group of development professionals dedicated to support poor communities in remote areas of Nepal. The main aim of the organization is to encourage people in remote areas to engage in their own development themselves. Its target geographical area at present is mainly the middle hills, usually the most disadvantaged area of Humla, Bajura, Mugu, Gorkha, Sindhupalchok and Kavrepalanchok districts of Nepal. It focuses its activities in the field of health, education, livelihoods, and reconstruction improvement.
Position : Research Officer
Duration : 12 months (starting December 1, 2019)
Reporting : Research Lead
Salary : Up to Gross 70,000/month
PHASE Nepal has received a research grant from the CGIAR Research Program on Maize (CRP MAIZE), led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT). The project aims to improve understanding on the relationship between male labor out-migration and household gender dynamics, and how it implies to the maize-basedfarming systems(MGM Nexus) in Nepal. The study adopts a mixed research design that combines in-depth semi-structured qualitative interviews, household survey, and focus group discussions for primary data collection. The study also needs to collect secondary data for trend analysis of migration and maize production in the study sites. The study plans to collect data from the three rural municipalities: one each from the terai, hills, and mountains.
Part II: Job Content
DELIVERABLE GOALS: Main Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide overall support in planning, organizing, and conducting research in MGM nexus.
- Monitoring and supervision of the project activities in coordination with project members.
- Support in scientific literature search, critical review and produce a state-of-art knowledge on the MGM nexus.
- Develop and participate actively in the development of field research plans.
- Support in the development of qualitative and quantitative research instruments, including structured survey, semi-structured interviews, and focus group discussion for primary data collection.
- Help explore, identify and collect data fromthe secondary sources.
- Provide training support to interviewers, enumerators, facilitators, and note takers, employed for qualitative and quantitative data collection.
- Clean, consolidate and prepare the dataset for quantitative data analysis and help in coding for qualitative data.
- Discuss findings with other personnel to evaluate validity of the findings.
- Prepare periodic reports to summarize project progress and help write up for publication, presentation, or for the use in further applied or theoretical research activities.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualification, skills, and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture or Natural Resource Management or Rural Development or in the related field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience working on research management, especially in the field of agriculture and rural development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data collection methods like in-depth interviews, survey designs, and group discussions.
- Strong analytical skills and experience in conducting literature reviews.
- Good understanding of statistical data analysis packages – SPSS, STATA.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Systematic, well organized, dependable and with high degree of initiative and sense of responsibility.
- Knowledge of KoBoTool Box or similar data collection software is an advantage
- Prior experience of gender equality and social inclusion issues in agriculture, rural development, and natural resource management is an asset.
- Experience in scientific writing and publication of articles in the journals is an asset.
We also enroll all our staff in Medical Insurance worth Rs. 2,25,000 (Two Lakh Twenty Five Thousand Only) along with dependent (Spouse, 3 children or Parents) and Accidental Insurance worth Rs. 20,00,000 (Twenty Lakh Only)
How to Apply:
Interested candidates meeting above-mentioned criteria are requested to send their updated CV along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 10th November 2019. Please apply only if you meet the required criteria and clearly mention which position you are applying for.
PHASE Nepal is an equal opportunities employer and strictly follows the merit-based selection. Qualified female candidates or those from disadvantaged communities or living with disability are strongly encouraged to apply. PHASE reserves the right to qualify/disqualify applications in any case.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for the further selection process.
No telephone inquiries will be entertained and any inappropriate recommendation will automatically disqualify the candidate from further processing.