Research Assitant II
Detailed Job description / requirements:
The Global Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies (GIIS) is an independent, not-for-profit research institution based in Kathmandu, Nepal. GIIS promotes and conducts interdisciplinary research to generate credible, salient, and legitimate knowledge that catalyzes a transformative change in the developmental policies and practices in Nepal and elsewhere. Through deep engagement with decisionmakers and multiple stakeholders, GIIS aims to shape developmental agenda that is socially just, environmentally sustainable, and economically viable. GIIS generates and disseminates interdisciplinary knowledge for shaping sustainable developmental pathways, trains and nurtures a new generation of innovative leaders and thinkers in sustainability science, initiates and promotes multi-level collaborations to enhance policy and governance mechanisms, as well as technological change and embraces and fosters globally-relevant and locally-applicable innovative practices.
GIIS is currently implementing various research projects supported by and in collaboration with USAID, National Geographic Society, Global Biodiversity Information Facility, USAID-PAANI, University of Barcelona and others.
Position: Research Assistant II
Job Location: Kathmandu based (occasional travel within Nepal).
Nature of Employment: Fixed-term Contract (initially for six months with the possibility of extension upon the receipt of new funding)
Key Job Responsibilities
- Collect, curate, prepare and manage spatial and non-spatial data for research projectsSearch, download and extract spatial data from global and regional sourcesConduct spatial analysis, produce maps and spatial products
- Conduct literature reviews
- Write research proposals, project reports and scientific manuscriptsParticipate in seminars, training, and workshopsManage fieldwork and travel to field sites (occasionally)Deliver instructions and training to internsProvide technical inputs and critical feedback to the research teamAssist to design spatial training courses
- Master's degree with coursework and skills in the application of GIS and Remote Sensing techniquesMinimum two-year experience in interdisciplinary researchSolid analytical (STATA/SPSS, R/Python, ArcGIS, QGIS, Google Earth Engine) and research abilities, with practical application experiences in conducting qualitative and quantitative research
- Strong motivation, self-starter and organizational/time management skills
- Focused and willing to follow the ethics of research work, able to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks at a time within deadlines
- Willingness to learn new things, concepts
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Nepali
- Flexible in working hours
GIIS believes inclusion and diversity foster excellence and efficiency. We aim to build a diverse and inclusive work environment for researchers and staff.
Application Procedure: To apply for this position, email your current CV (3-page max) and a letter of interest as a single pdf file to email@example.com with subject line RA_TheGIIS2
Salary and benefits: Highly competitive
Deadline for application: September 25, 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.