Regional Public Financial Management Expert
TEAM Consult is anational consulting firm which works on policy development and institutional reform with GoN and building the skills and knowledge of staff within different sectors. Established in 1995, TEAM Consult brings a long history managing and supporting various projects and programmes to build capacity and knowledge of the GoN in public private partnership, public financial management, procurement and human resource development. Throughout this time, TEAM Consult has gained extensive experience providing technical assistance and advice, reviewing and reforming PFM systems, assessing fiduciary risk and strengthening transparency and accountability in public spending.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Category: Regional Public Financial Management Expert
Position Type: Contractual
Contract Duration: 1 year
Experience: Please check vacancy details
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business studies, business administration or equivalent from reputed university. Preference given to those holding a Master’s degree/professional qualifications (such as CA/ACCA/CPA).
City: Coordination Unit, Surkhet
Application due date: 25 June 2022
Job Description- Regional PFM Expert
TEAM Consult is a consortium partner of Mott MacDonald delivering Public Financial Management (PFM) related activities for Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO) funded Technical Assistance for the “Nepal Climate Change Support Programme – Phase 2 (NCCSP2), led by the Ministry of Forest and Environment. NCCSP was designed with the aim to ensure that the poorest and most vulnerable communities in Nepal are able to adapt to the effects of climate change. NCCSP2 plans to operate in up to 42 Palikas in western Nepal and is currently working in Karnali and Sudurpaschim Provinces. The aim of NCCSP2 is to:
- Support the poorest and most vulnerable communities and local enterprises in western Nepal to become more resilient to the impacts of climate change;
- Use participatory, evidence-based processes to identify long-term adaptation priorities; and integrate these into Government of Nepal planning and policy;
- Build the capacity of Government of Nepal to finance, design and deliver adaptation interventions;
- Improve coordination of community-based adaptation interventions and generate evidence that can improve the quality of future adaptation planning
The objective of the Technical Assistance (TA) to NCCSP2 is to support and build the capacity of the Government of Nepal to deliver the programme. The TA to the NCCSP2 comprises of 4 objectives:
- Help the Government of Nepal (GoN) deliver the programme effectively, efficiently, and economically through the provision of technical expertise
- Reduce the fiduciary risk associated with the programme
- Strengthen the capacity of the GoN to implement climate change adaptation programming today and in the future
- Share learning from NCCSP with others and lead the coordination of partners working on climate change adaptation in Nepal
Team Consult is seeking applications from qualified and experienced Nepali citizens for the position of Regional PFM Expert, to be based in Surkhet, and work under the direct supervision of Senior Public Financial Management Expert. The successful applicant will lead in supporting public financial management system improvement and technical support on mitigation of fiduciary risks of selected Municipalities related to Climate Change resilience mainstreaming, remaining based at regional level coordination unit. Therefore, the broad objectives of the position are:
1) To support improvement of financial management systems of Municipalities in areas relevant to NCCSP,
2) To provide backstopping support in the day-to-day fiduciary risk mitigation activities
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Activities related to financial management system improvement
1. In coordination with PFM expert at Programme Management Unit (PMU) level, support identification of capacity development needs or capacity gaps in areas of financial management of selected Municipalities and implementation of capacity development activities envisaged in capacity development strategy or financial management improvement plans of NCCSP, broadly in area of Climate Change Resilience mainstreaming.s
2. Explore coordination opportunities with other programmes and initiatives providing PFM support to the areas.
3. Provide guidance to Cluster level TA or Municipality finance personnel as required, to interpret and implement financial management-related requirements of NCCSP2, as detailed in the Programme Implementation Guidelines and other relevant guidelines.
4. Support on-the-job capacity development of Municipality finance personnel or other relevant staff, as per NCCSP2 capacity development strategy.
5. Support organisation and imparting of PFM orientation/training/interaction programmes in the selected Municipalities relevant to NCCSP2 capacity development strategy, in possible coordination with capacity development efforts by other programmes.
Activities related to day-to-day PFM backstopping
1. Assist in annual performance assessment of each Municipalities, as determined by PMU.
2. Carry out timely and risk-based monitoring of designated Municipalities, especially regarding adherence with NCCSP2Programme Implementation Guidelines.
3. Incorporate TA related recommendation on fiduciary risk mitigation in the TA systems and Programme Implementation Guidelines
4. Support compilation of financial reports submitted by Municipalities for accuracy and quality.
5. Supervise financial management support to Municipalities carried out by Cluster level TA. Support compiling and summarising key issues or red-flags reported by Cluster offices of respective Municipalities.
6. Supervise and support compiling of recommendations at Municipality level, provided by other parties, such as internal auditors and Office of Auditor General’s external audit of Municipalities.
7. Assist in external reviews or assurance activities carried out by third parties, such as spot checks, donor reviews, etc.
8. Support preparing and updating Municipality-wise risk profiles, based on information gathered through primary or secondary sources
9. Technical Support and follow-up with provincial ministry regarding financial management issues and financial monitoring.
10. Facilitation and support to Regional Coordinator and Senior. Admin Finance Officer of the regional office in regional level activities that require PFM information and support.
11. Support province-level coordination with relevant stakeholders such as province government, relevant government programmes, donor units, etc.
12. Work as per requirements of PMU on the areas of public financial management.
Management and Reporting
Regional Level PFM Expert will be stationed at Regional NCCSP2 TA office, Surkhet, with a requirement of frequent travel to the programme implementation areas (Karnali province, and Sudurpaschim province).
S/he will functionally report to PFM Expert at PMU level, Kathmandu and administratively report to the Regional Coordinator at Coordination unit, Surkhet.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in business studies, business administration or equivalent from a reputed university. Preference will be given to those holding a Master’s degree in the relevant area or having professional qualifications (such as CA/ACCA/CPA).
- Fluency in Nepali and English and good communication skills.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience, including experience in accounting, budgeting, assurance or financial reporting role, with at least one-year experience in public sector/development sector of Nepal.
- Experience in working in remote areas of Nepal will be an added advantage.
- Experience of implementing effective internal control systems and providing capacity development inputs is essential.
- Ability to organize work and projects and to adapt to changing circumstances (flexibility)
- Good analytical, negotiating, advocacy, inter-personal communication skills
- Good report writing skills in Nepali and English
- Proficiency in Excel, Power point and Word
TEAM Consult is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Qualified and experienced candidates from marginalized groups, including women, Dalits, Janajatis, Madheshi and others are strongly encouraged to apply.
*Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.