Public Health Assistant
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Public Health Assistant
I - Mission context
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde (MdM), a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts and environmental health.
MdM has worked in Nepal since 1995: firstly, on Tuberculosis and HIV in western province, then on Sexual and Reproductive Health in Sindhupalchok District. Following the 2015 earthquakes, MdM implemented an emergency response program and then, a post-earthquake early recovery project in the same district.
Since 2018, MdM is working on Environmental Health. After a 2018-2019 program targeting informal waste workers (IWWs) in Kathmandu Valley and Sisdole landfill, MdM is initiating a 3-years program, starting in 2020 and aiming improvement of health, wellbeing and livelihood of those informal waste workers, based on: 1. formalization of IWWs through CSO and increasing their recognition in integrated solid waste management in urban cities, 2. increasing risk mitigation and promotion of decent safe work opportunities in current activities and through innovation contributing to improve solid waste management, and 3. increasing access to quality health services for IWWs and the community through promotion of Urban Health Promotion Center.
Based on our experience in Kathmandu, MdM MdM is scaling up this program amongst both formal and informal waste workers in Nepalgunj Sub-metropolitan City with the support of the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). The objective is to improve health, wellbeing and livelihood of waste workers in Nepalgunj Sub-metropolitan City, mitigating their occupational risks and environmental exposure, improving access to prevention and occupational health services, including in the COVID-19 pandemic situation.
Hierarchical positioning: Reporting directly to the Project Manager in Nepalgunj, in close coordination with the MdM Nepal Medical Advisor Advisor in Katmandu.
II- Main aims of the post
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Public Health Assistant position consists in proactively ensure the development of the occupational health / public health components and activities related with the program development. The Public Health Assistant ensures the consistency and quality of all health-related activities and contribute in the reporting, monitoring, assessment and evaluation process. S/he is in charge of the local medical kit maintenance. The Public Health Assistant will work in close coordination with technical support of the MdM Nepal Medical Advisor in Katmandu.
Terms of Reference for this position can be subject to modification depending on the evolution of the situation in country and the needs.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Program implementation
- Reporting, monitoring and evaluation, communication
1. Program implementation
- Ensure effective and efficient implementation of the public health and occupational health related activities, quality delivery by all bodies involved and perform regular field visits to ensure the project implementation
- Sensitization and orientation towards beneficiary. Contribute to the elaboration of content and dissemination of Behavior Change Communication (BCC) materials on, harmful environment and Occupational Health and Safety (OHS), including protective measures toward COVID-19
- Promotion of conducive environment through networking and workshops with stakeholders involving public, private and people (PPP) partners, including local health facilities
- Contribute to increase access to quality occupational health services for waste workers through existing health facilities including capacity building of healthcare providers
- Contribute to active participation of community members to program activities, build the capacity of local partners to collectively engage local members on identified issues on public health issues.
- Contribute to advocate for beneficiaries’ and communities’ access to quality health services
- Follow occupational health and safety and public health related guidelines designed by MdM Nepal Medical Advisor and other reference documents designed by MdM Nepal Medical Advisor
- Coordinate with authorities, external partners on medical and occupational health and safety and public health components in collaboration with the Project Manager
- Participate to operational meetings and steering committees together with the Project Manager and MdM Nepalgunj team
- Represent MdM and participate in any relevant events, platforms and forums to increase achievement of public health objectives
2. Reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Contribute to monitor the implementation of the public health related activities and data collection, according to the strategic M&E orientations and in collaboration with the Project Manager
- Contribute to any relevant report (government authorities, funding agencies, HQ, etc.) in support to the Project Manager
- Ensure any specific medical reporting to the MdM Nepal Medical Advisor in Kathmandu
- Participate in any field assessment in coordination with MdM team, under supervision of the Project Manager according to MdM guidelines
- Ensure the constant availability and accurate storage of contingency stock of emergency medical kit designed by MdM Nepal Medical Advisor.
III - Profile of the ideal candidate
- Health Assistant or staff nurse or Bachelors’ degree in Public Health or equivalent degree in Health
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in NGO/INGO, in public health sector
- Experience in program planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in working with government or municipal health system
- Experience in working with communities and less advantaged / marginalized beneficiaries
- Experience in surveillance system, emergencies, outbreak response: an asset
- Familiar with communities in Nepalgunj: an asset
Skills and qualities required
- Medical technical skills
- Proactive, well organized and ability to manage priorities, adaptable, reliable, accountable and responsive personality
- Team-working and coordination skills
- Listening and dissemination skills
- Interpersonal and verbal communication abilities, tact and diplomacy, intercultural and difference awareness
- Assertiveness, mediation and negotiation, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Able to read, write and communicate in English at professional level
- Computer skill in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other communication tools
- Nepali: mother tongue
- English: fluent - both oral and written
- Local language, Bhojpuri, Awadhi, Maithali: preferred
NOTES TO CANDIDATES
DURATION: Up to June 2021
DUTY STATION: Nepalgunj
ANTICIPATED START DATE: As soon as possible in July 2020
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 13th July 2020
HOW TO APPLY: send an updated CV in English with 2 references and Cover Letter to email@example.com