Program Development Officer (PDO)
The Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) combats poverty and exclusion by strengthening the development capacity of disadvantaged communities, supporting initiatives for peace, human rights and equity, mobilizing resources and promoting the exchange of know-how.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Position Title: Program Development Officer (PDO), Nepal
Position Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Reports to: Country Director, Nepal
Contract term: Initial for one year with a possibility of extension, starting ASAP
Deadline to apply: November 1, 2020, however applications will be considered as they are received.
The Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) is a not-for-profit organization with headquarters in Montreal, Canada. CECI’s mission is to combat poverty and exclusion. It strengthens the development capacity of disadvantaged communities; supports initiatives for peace, human rights and equity; mobilizes resources and promotes knowledge exchange.
CECI has been in Nepal for over 32 years and has a country office in Kathmandu. It has extensive knowledge of the socio-economic, political, institutional, cultural and governance contexts of the country, as well as vast networks including government connections. It has been working in the field of Agriculture/livelihood, Economic development, Governance, DRR, Democracy, Human rights and Social inclusion in Nepal and has been carrying out several programs with civil society partners, national governments, international organizations and the private sector.
CECI is currently recruiting a Nepali citizen for the position of Program DevelopmentOfficer(PDO) reporting to the Country Director, Nepal. The PDOisresponsible for Nepal office program design and development in close collaboration with the Country Director, project team members and specialists as well as an HQ Program team. The officer will also report to Regional Director-Asia for Regional Program Development (PD) while contributing to regional program design and development in close collaboration with the Program Development Team.
The PDO leads the development of quality programming by identifying opportunities, mobilizing resources to work with PD, developing partnerships, maintaining donor relations and leading the design of new project proposals.
The PDO will lead strategic and technical improvements in program design and development to ensure quality and adherence to program standards in line with the CECI PD strategy and standards. As a senior member of the Nepal team, the PDO will also provide leadership and support in the implementation of key initiatives, especially pertaining to the Institutional transformation process.
3. Program Design and Planning:
- Be up to date with key developments and innovations in economics, agriculture and livelihoods, and governance sectors and Gender and Social Inclusion.
- Actively track for upcoming project opportunities, facilitate a Go-No-Go decision, and prepare a strategy to develop project opportunities.
- Coordinate writing of concept notes and full proposals, including humanitarian response proposals in close collaboration with relevant resources in Nepal and HQ.
- Contribute to Regional PD strategy and proposal development occasionally and as needed.
- Identify relevant consultant to write proposals when needed, develop TOR and manage the consultants' input
- Lead the program development and funding diversification
- In close collaboration with the Country Director, lead strategic initiatives pertaining to the Institutional transformation process.
- Program Development Representation
- Represent CECI with key donors, INGO and NGO partners and Government stakeholders
- Contribute to the development of new partnerships with INGOs in close collaboration with the HQ PD team and NGOs in Nepal
- Represent CECI in project quality assurance, M&E and lessons learnt and innovation networks
- Facilitate and develop key representation material such as Capacity Statements, thematic approaches, Results and experience documents.
- Capacity Development
- Introduce key developments in program strategies, approaches and methodologies to the CECI team.
- Facilitate internal lessons learnt workshop, identify key capacity building areas of technical, approaches and methodologies for the Nepal team and develop a capacity development plan.
- A postgraduate university degree in international development; economic development or relevant social science. An undergraduate university degree plus equivalent experience could be considered.
Experience and Competencies
- A minimum of five years of experience in development projects.
- Experience in humanitarian interventions will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in proposal development
- Demonstrated experience in donor relations and networking
- Proven experience managing multidisciplinary program development resources when working on proposals.
- Diplomatic skills and proven intercultural and interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Demonstrated representation, negotiation and networking skills
- A solid knowledge of computer software programs and in particular Internet, word processing and spreadsheet software. CECI uses MS Office and Google Drive;
- Proven knowledge of and commitment to the concepts of Gender and Social Inclusion;
- Experience working with Global Affairs Canada, USAID, WB, ADB or EU supported projects, including a solid understanding of ResultsBased Management (RBM).
- Fluency in English, including excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fluent in Nepali
6. To Apply:
All interested candidates meeting the requirements should send a Cover letter explaining the motivation to apply for this position and explain the ways in which they meet the qualifications, and an updated curriculum vitae (CV) to email@example.com before 1 November 2020.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the interview.
- No telephone inquiries will be entertained with respect to this announcement.
Internal candidates are preferred, including past employees and those who have familiarity with the organization. CECI is an equal opportunity employer. Women candidates and candidates from disadvantaged groups/communities and areas (Dalit, Janjati/Indigenous, Madheshi, Muslim, LGBTIQ+ and Economic and/or geographically excluded districts) are encouraged to apply.