LOGISTICS ASSISTANT & DRIVER
Detailed Job description / requirements:
LOGISTICS ASSISTANT & DRIVER
I - Mission context
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde (MdM), a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts and environmental health.
MdM has worked in Nepal since 1995: firstly, on Tuberculosis and HIV in western province, then on Sexual and Reproductive Health in Sindhupalchok District. Following the 2015 earthquakes, MdM implemented an emergency response program and then, a post-earthquake early recovery project in the same district.
Since 2018, MdM is working on Environmental Health.
A 2018-2019 “Healthy Waste Workers in Kathmandu Valley” program has been implemented, to improve health status of informal waste workers (IWWs) in the Valley, mitigating their occupational risks and environmental exposure, improving access to information and increasing access to health services in Teku, Shantinagar and Sisdole landfill sites.
In continuation to this program, a 3-year program starting in 2020, aims to improve health, wellbeing and livelihood of IWWs in Kathmandu Valley and Sisdole landfill, replicating some aspects of the 2018-2019 IWW program and extending it to other location of the country . MdM is scaling up this program amongst both formal and informal waste workers in Nepalgunj Sub-metropolitan City. In May 2020, MdM has launched a short project on COVID19 response in order to address the challenges related with the COVID19 pandemic amongst the waste workers and the urban community.
In the future, MdM also targets the potential development of a new project on environmental health issues.
Hierarchical positioning: Reporting directly to the Administration and Finance Officer.
II- Main aims of the post
The Logistics Assistant & Driver will work under the supervision of Administration and Finance Officer. The Logistics Assistant & Driver will be responsible for the logistics support and safe driving including security of the passenger, transported materials and equipment as per the requirement of mission. S/he will be responsible for the vehicle maintenance and support in logistics including procurement, stock maintenance, office maintenance and support admin and logistics department in day to day activities.
- Logistics Support and Office Maintenance
- Driving, Safety and Security
- Maintenance of the vehicle
Responsibilities in details
Logistics Support and Office Maintenance
- Support to logistics activities including procurement, stock maintenance, utilities and office maintenance
- Realize purchasing at better price, qualities and availabilities including collection of quotations and negotiation with supplier under supervision as per MdM procurement procedure and standard business practices.
- Ensure that every materials and items are arranged in a proper way in the office, including safety and accessibility including support to maintain records in warehouse, load and unload materials and equipment.
- Support on proper maintenance of the regular supply of goods, food items, office supplies, utilities and stationeries. Payment of small items and utilities as per direction of Admin Officer.
- Maintenance of office premises and office utilities and refill the office supplies in close coordination with the supervisor including office and guest house. Open and Close office according to the office time and remain stand-by in the office in between movements.
- Deliver and collect the documents or goods to/from various agencies, suppliers, individuals or stakeholders. Obtaining signatures, appropriate documentation and payments for items picked up or delivered.
- Participate and contribute on logistics activities planning and execution of assigned responsibilities
Driving, Safety and Security
- Driving safely vehicle and with passengers wherever the mission requires. Responsible for safety and security of passenger and transported property strictly following the code of Nepalese travel/transportation and respecting speed limits.
- Respect all security rules and standard operating procedure. Immediately report the security or other incidence to your supervisor and General Coordinator.
- Responsible to carry a valid driving license and registration/documents of cars. Always have it ready for any eventual inspection.
- Responsible for renewal of all documents before the expiry date such as insurance, pollution check, vehicle maintenance, etc.
- Respect the trip plan and changes as and when required in close coordination with supervisor and field team.
- Ensure the availability of first-aid kit inside the vehicle and all necessary equipment to be on board the vehicle in accordance with the procedures before movement.
Maintenance of the vehicle
- Conducting checks, maintenance and revisions in accordance with procedures checking on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Alert the supervisor in case of technical problem or need for maintenance on timely basis or immediately as per urgency. Anticipate and inform the Supervisor prior to every repair. Organizing or if possible, carrying out of any necessary repairs as per validation of supervisor as per need.
- Properly fill a logbook with trip details, kilometers and fuel consumption of the car and other information every day.
- Ensure the vehicle cleaned and sanitized (as needed) inside and outside every day.
- Ensure all necessary tools, equipment and material is present in the vehicle and in good condition (tools, spare wheel, airlift, belts, ropes, etc.).
- Maintain the reserve fuel, if required, with due care and caution of safety and security under direct guidance of the Supervisor.
- Participate in internal team meetings and logistics support to program activities in field and office as per need.
- Abide by the confidentiality of the documents or information received during the job.
- Execute any other function required by Admin or Program department.
III - Profile of the ideal candidate
Education and Experience
- Grade 12 passed
- Admin/Logistic experience: minimum 2 years preferred in I/NGOs
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record: minimum 5 years driving experience in all terrain including four-wheel-drive cars
- Knowledge of minor vehicle maintenance and repair
- Excellent knowledge of road Traffic regulations, road network and road safety best practices.
- Doctor’s certification eyesight test and validation to drive vehicle in last three months is required in case the candidate is selected for the position.
- Competencies on IT: an asset
- Proactive, well organized and ability to manage priorities, adaptable, reliable, accountable and responsive personality
- Leadership, team-working and coordination skills
- Interpersonal and verbal communication abilities, charisma, tact and diplomacy, intercultural and difference awareness
- Assertiveness, mediation and negotiation, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Adaptive to trips plans, difficult field scenarios and proactive to changes.
- Supportive to office need and responsive to additional instructions.
- Computer skills: basic skills with email and internet use.
Required/ Desired Languages
- Fluent in Nepali
- Basic skills in English: Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
Notes to Candidates
Duration: Upto December 2020 (renewal)
Duty Station: Kathmandu (frequent travel to field)
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible in September 2020
Number of positions: 1
Closing date of application: 20th August 2020
How to Apply: send an updated CV in English with 2 references and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org