Local Governance Expert (Consultant)
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) promotes democratic stability by providing technical assistance and applying field-based research to the electoral cycle worldwide to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil societies, governance and transparency. Every IFES project is staffed by national and international staff while partnering with local organizations. This homegrown approach ensures that the expertise offered by IFES fits the needs of the country or client and the benefit of assistance outlasts the life of the project. Our work is nonpartisan and also includes projects that: Help citizens participate in their democracies Increase politicians' accountability to the electorate Strengthen government institutions Since its founding in 1987, IFES has worked in more than 100 countries - from developing democracies such as Liberia, to mature democracies such as the United States.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
- Review, revise and provide comments on training curricula for IFES’ women’s leadership, civic education and advocacy programs related to coordination and engagement with local governments;
- Support development of program materials related to local government engagement, including public awareness materials, training resources including training curricula, etc;
- Advise IFES Nepal on Nepali local government roles and responsibilities;
- Support IFES Nepal staff and CSO partners to develop methods of engagement with local governments on issues relating to women’s leadership, inclusion and citizen engagement;
- Support on IFES’ mentorship activities;
- Support development of reports and publications for donors; and
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by the Country Director and Deputy Country Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, education, law, sociology or related field, Master’s degree preferred;
- Minimum of six years’ experience in local governance, civil society, organizational capacity building, advocacy or other related democracy, rights and governance sectors;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of local government roles and responsibilities, existing laws and the decentralization process in Nepal;
- Experience developing training curricula;
- Familiarity with development programming and donor projects in Nepal;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Word, Gmail, Microsoft Excel, Power Point) are required;
- Fluency in English and Nepali, both written and oral.