- Company: Welthungerhilfe
- Industry: I/ NGO
- Address: Bakhundole, Lalitpur
- Full Time
- 7+ years
- Please check vacancy details
Detailed Job Description / Requirements
Job Title: Project Coordinator (WASH)
Organization profile and background: Welthungerhilfe (WHH) was established under the umbrella of the FAO (UN Food and Agriculture Organisation) in 1962 and started as the German section of the "Freedom from Hunger Campaign" – one of the first global campaigns to fight hunger. Today it is one of Germany’s leading non-governmental organizations with a dual-mandate in both development cooperation and emergency response. Non-profit making, non-denominational and politically independent, Welthungerhilfe works to create a world in which all people can exercise their right to a self-determined life in dignity and justice, free from hunger and poverty. To bring justice for all, WHH partners with civil society organizations in the countries where it operates, and is currently partnering with over 100 local partners in 39 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America (www.welthungerhilfe.de). In 2016, Welthungerhilfe supported 8.4 million people with 407 projects abroad.
WHH is operational in Nepal since 2012, and is currently managing different project in nine districts under three programme thematic areas (sectors): food and nutrition security; right to food and empowerment; and EQ rehabilitation and disaster risk reduction. Our overall goal is to work hand in hand with civil society in Nepal to empower socially marginalized and economically poor citizens to reinforce their resilience and to ensure their right to adequate food and nutrition.
Location: Chitwan District with frequent travel to field locations
Job purpose: The Project Coordinator WASH (PC) is overall responsible for the project “Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Promotion amongst marginalized communities in hilly Chitwan District”. This includes partner facilitation, efficient and timely implementation according to the plan, ensuring the success of the project and to contribute to further development and expansion of the country programme.
Responsible to:Programme Manager
Planning, monitoring and reporting
- Supervise assessments and baseline/mid-line/end-line studies in coordination with implementing partner.
- Analyse technical data including appropriate public health indicators and water quality assessments to direct program implementation priorities.
- Ensure application of MEAL framework in project, incl periodic progress review and recommend adjustment as necessary.
- Responsible for results-based program and budget monitoring with regular field visits (at least 60% of assignment).
- Ensure field level project documentation and narrative/financial reporting according to donor and WHH regulations and report to Programme Manager to reflect achievements of the project targets.
- Provide regular and reliable narrative and financial reports reflecting lessons learned.
Management and Implementation
- Supervise, facilitate and provide technical expertise for the project implementation partner in Chitwan.
- Contribute to development of program implementation approaches and strategies in line with overall Welthungerhilfe Country Program.
- Ensure integration of good governance, RBA and GESI throughout the project cycle.
- Develop/adopt appropriate technical and social training packages and modules for Water Quality, Hygiene and Sanitation including policy literacy and Governance to enhance the capacity of partner staff.
- Facilitate Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach
- Create platforms for dialogue (water user and sanitation and coordination committees, local government representatives, etc.) to ensure appropriate technical and social interventions in order to secure outcome, impact and sustainability
- Ensure appropriate and functional maintenance mechanisms and sustainability measures of WASH facilities (e.g. toilets, water source points and community WASH infrastructures)
- Ensure gender sensitive key hygiene practices are addressed and define an appropriate communications strategy to promote safe practices.
- Coordinate, network and develop cooperation with Rural Municipalities/Municipalities/district level authorities, I/NGOs at provincial and regional government institutes, private sectors, thematic networks and other relevant stakeholders.
- Attend and represent WHH in relevant meetings at local, district, provincial and national level.
- Ensure project implementation is in line with governmental regulations/ procedures (e.g. site selection) and do not duplicate activities proposed or carried out by GoN or other org.
- Collect and document best practices, case studies, stories and photos.
- Support partner organizations in good coordination, planning and capacity building skills to achieve and sustain universal WASH services
- Work together with other WHH partners in the district to ensure maximum synergy.
Compliance & Accountability
- Maintain a clear understanding of WHH and donor compliance, and
- Ensure that all activities are in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Ensure adherence to Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) in project implementation.
- Ensure transparency, complain response mechanism and inclusiveness in information management.
- Any other duties assigned by the Programme Manager or Country Director.
- At least seven years of proven track record of progressive and successful work experience in development sector in a similar position with a strong focus on WASH governance
- Strong experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups, especially in community mobilization, hygiene promotion, and CLTS.
- Experience in WASH engineering
- Survey, analytical, and planning skills; ability to analyse technical data including appropriate public health indicators and water quality assessments to direct program implementation priorities.
- Strong administrative, management and communication skills including ability to simply present complex technical information with a willingness to follow relevant policies and procedures.
- Ability integrate gender issues and right base approach within a conservative environment and indigenous community setting.
- Well versed in partner mobilization, community facilitation, institution building, networking and liaison.
- Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills, open-minded and problem solving.
- Proposal and report writing skills
- Experience in working with international agencies or INGOs.
- Willingness to travel extensively in the remote project locations.
- Master's degree in Water and Sanitation Engineering, Civil Engineering, Public Health, Natural Resources Management (Water), Environment Management or relevant technical WASH specialization.
- Degree in management or social work is a plus.
- Excellent in written and spoken English and Nepali is essential; knowledge of local languages and German language is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel and Power point), GIS skills and experience with digital data gathering an asset.
- Familiarity to work with website, online/offline gadgets & intranet applications incl. social media.
- Good working knowledge of modern communication technology.
- Creative, flexible and pro-active, willingness to learn and to share knowledge.
- Excellent coordination and facilitation skills
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Political and cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Willingness to work in the field, with overnight stays (village level)
- Able to take initiative, self-motivated/independently working
- Organized personality
- Willingness to learn and to share knowledge
- GPS skill is an added advantage
- Valid Driver’s License, able to ride a motorcycle in rural environment.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Interested candidates are invited to address application letters to the following addresses below: email@example.com
Welthungerhilfe is an equal opportunities employer, therefore qualified female are encouraged to apply for this position.
Closing date: 20th November 2017