- Company: Jevaia
- Industry: Health Care
- Address: Kaski, Pokhara, Nepal
- Public Health
- Full Time
- 2+ years
- M.P.H. (Masters in Public Health)
Detailed Job Description / Requirements
Jevaia Oral Health Care has been operating since 2006 in collaboration with Jevaia Foundation, USA. The project establishes sustainable, community-based dental care and prevention in rural areas. Currently JOHC programs serve an area of 50,000 people. Presently we are focused on advocating with stakeholders to see our rural dental clinic model adopted in to Nepal’s national health care system in all Health Posts.
The Program Director is responsible for overall operations and program management, including overseeing an office of three staff full-time staff members and approximately 15 part-time field staff. Excellent leadership, teamwork, communication and project management skills are essential. Must have a strong working knowledge of Nepal’s government systems. A basic understanding of research methods is strongly preferred.
This position requires irregular hours and field time, including overnights in rural areas. The PD will transition JOHC in to an increasingly data-driven, replicable model, as well as build connections in the health, education, government and private sectors.
- Work with a small office team to develop and monitor annual, quarterly, and monthly plans.
- Cultivate and manage relationships at different levels of government and at the community level in rural areas.
- Implement a comprehensive policy advocacy strategy
- Identify and develop partnerships with universities, professional groups, i/NGOs, suppliers, and other cross-sector stakeholders.
- Write and submit reports on program activities.
- Act as a liaison between administrative staff and Jevaia’s board of directors.
- Meet with the Executive Director twice weekly by Skype meetings, and take initiative to share important program information outside of scheduled communication.
- Frequent site visits to village-based projects.
- Work with the field officers to create and teach a frequent trainings and workshops for field staff.
- Help develop, supervise, and evaluate results of baseline and exit surveys.
Please note that this is a hands-on project management position that involves significant field time and deep engagement with project details. The candidate should be prepared to walk long distances, hold meetings sitting in the grass, and stay overnight in simple conditions.
Please do not apply unless you have a minimum of 2 years experience in a project management role. We may consider alternative acadmic degrees, but we will not consider applications for first-time employment.
- Substantial project management experience in rural public health.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a rural setting with local staff.
- Solid understanding of program administration procedures, planning, monitoring, budgeting, and report writing.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Education: Degree in Public Health or Health Education, and minimum two years experience as a project manager. Certain candidates with degrees in Public Administration may also be considered.
Professional skills, Attitudes and Behavior:
- Strong organization, interpersonal, and communication skills in Nepali and English
- Writing in both Nepali and English
- Teaching and training skills
- Good-natured and creative – can enhance our culture of fun and imagination
- Knowledge of government systems and procedures at village, district, and national levels
- Responsive, flexible, and adaptive; thrives in an often unpredictable environment
- Persistent problem-solver, willing to cover responsibilities where needed
- Strong decision-making skills
- Conscientious, punctual, detail-orientated
- Passion for the mission of the project
Computer skills: Microsoft Word, e-mail, internet, Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, and ability to learn Salesforce (an online database) is required. Experience with survey design, implementation and data analysis strongly preferred. Experience with grant-writing also a plus.
- Jan 2017 – end Dec. 2019 (minimum two-year commitment)
- Must be willing to move to Pokhara
- Salary commensurate with experience
TO APPLY: Please review our website: www.jevaia.org - we strongly encourage you read the website before applying. Generic applications will not be considered.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: VACANCY APPLICATION. Generic cover letters will not be considered – show us why you are interested in and qualified to lead Jevaia Oral Health Care.