- Company: Winrock International-Hamro Samman
- Industry: Non-Profit
- Address: Kathmandu
- 7+ years
- Bachelors in Law
Detailed Job Description / Requirements
USAID HAMRO SAMMAN PROJECT
POSITION TITLE: Law and Governance Manager (national position)
LOCATION: Kathmandu, Nepal, with frequent visits to 12 districts in central, mid-west and far-west Nepal
REPORTS TO: Deputy Chief of Party
CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 months
Nepal is a source, transit, and destination country for sex, labor, and organ trafficking. A 2014 report estimates that 230,000 Nepalis are subject to slavery at any given time, and nearly 30 percent of the economically-active population is unemployed or underemployed.1 USAID’s Hamro Samman is a five-year program generously supported by the American people and implemented by Winrock International. It seeks to build the capacity of and facilitate coordination among the GON, civil society, and private sector to combat human trafficking in Nepal.
Winrock International seeks a Law and Governance Manager to successfully lead programming aimed at strengthening the national and local government of Nepal efforts to combat human trafficking. S/he will also lead all justice-related programming including legislative analysis, legal aid, and training for justice actors. The Law and Governance Manager will be the primary liaison with the Government of Nepal at the national level, will manage a team of Field Coordinators who provide support to provincial and municipal level actors and oversee the quality of work done by grantees in related areas. S/he will have a high level of technical understanding of the legal and policy framework governing trafficking in persons, including trafficking during the foreign migration process and relevant international conventions. The Law and Governance Manager will have a deep understanding of the drivers of trafficking and unsafe migration and an enthusiasm for driving the Hamro Samman project forward to achieve meaningful and sustainable impact that reduces human trafficking.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships national, provincial and municipal level government institutions and justice actors
- Coordinate with government officials to improve data collection, sharing and usage to strengthen policy, coordination, and public reporting
- Assess capacity of and strengthen national and sub-national committees for controlling human trafficking to prevent, protect and prosecute TIP
- Assess capacity of and strengthen government capacity at national and sub-national levels to monitor and enforce policies related to labor recruitment and TIP
- Support initiatives to implement national and international recommendations to mitigate and address human trafficking
- Support initiatives to strengthen regional networks and cooperation mechanisms in support of national counter trafficking legislation in Nepal
- Reduce legal barriers for survivors to access justice and increase prosecution
- Oversee and engage in the design and delivery of training for justice actors o Oversee and engage in legislative analysis, legislative drafting and policy
- recommendations and advocacy at the municipal, provincial and national level o Oversee delivery of a sustainable legal aid program by partners
- Oversee and engage in design, implementation and finalization of high quality CTIP research
- Provide high quality, written analysis and reporting in English
- Other duties as assigned
Education:Bachelor degree (Masters preferred) in law, human rights, or other relevant field
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in policy and legal work related to countering human trafficking, safe migration or other relevant field such as human rights
- Relevant experience implementing policy development and advocacy programs with the government at the national level
- Experience building the capacity of government entities as the national and sub-national level
- Experience managing international projects to the highest ethical and quality standards
- Knowledge or understanding of social, economic, and political context governing anti-trafficking and safe migration issues
- Knowledge of international and national laws and regulations pertinent to labor migration and human trafficking
- Knowledge of human and institutional capacity building tools and approaches, particularly in a decentralized governance system
- Understanding of policies and enforcement mechanisms related to TIP in Nepal
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
Professionalism: Strong knowledge of the relevant technical areas.
Planning & Organizing: Ability to plan work and manage conflicting priorities.
Communication: Excellent spoken and written communication skills, including the ability to liaise with technical staff and present information in a clear and concise style. Fluency in written in English.
Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Analytical skills: Ability to analyze information and solve problems with excellent attention to detail.
To apply, please refer to the given link https://www.rollingplans.com.np/Winrock-International/Law-and-Governance-Manager-(national-position). The deadline for the submission of application is on or before November 10, 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Women, people with disabilities and those belonging to discriminated groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
All employees should adhere to USAID and Winrock International’s code of ethics, and specifically child safeguarding and trafficking in persons provisions covered in the project agreement.