- Company: Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI)
- Industry: I/ NGO
- Address: CECI- Nepal, Naya Basti Marga, Baluwatar,
- Full Time
- Please check vacancy details.
- Please check vacancy details
Detailed Job Description / Requirements
Job Description for Governance Specialist for SUSASAN Project
Position: Governance Specialist
Duration: Initial for 6 months and extension is possible based on performance
Duty station: Kathmandu with frequent field visit to project districts
Reporting: Project Team Leader, and collaborative relationship with Country Director based in Nepal, Program Officer and Regional Director based in Canada
The Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) is an international non-governmental organization which works in more than 15 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. CECI has been working in Nepal over 32 years. CECI’s mission is to combat poverty and exclusion. To this end, it builds the developmental capacities of local disadvantaged communities, supports peace, human rights and equity initiatives, mobilizes resources and fosters the exchange of knowledge.
CECI has been implementing Canadian Government (Global Affairs Canada-GAC) funded project "SUSASAN – Sustainable Use of Technology for Public Sector Accountability in Nepal" with the ultimate outcome to increase the empowerment of women and men, youth, and marginalized groups, to engage and participate in democratic processes equitably and inclusively, to enjoy and exercise their human rights through increasing access and use of integrated technologies in governance. This Project covers six districts (Sindhupalchowk, Lalitpur, Bajhang, Accham, Dadeldhura and Kailali).
The Governance Specialist will closely collaborate with Project team, Government Institutions and International experts serve the project and organization on a range of governance issues such as governance, transparency, accountability, rule of law, constructive citizen-state engagement, human rights, civil society, media, elections, and political transitions.
3. Job summary
Governance specialist requires demonstrating general understanding of governance and its cross-sector applications. S/he requires bringing specific technical expertise, experience and practice in public financial management, legal, regulatory, policy frameworks, public advocacy and oversight, transparency and accountability, and gender and social inclusion. The Specialist must be highly motivated, capable of working independently and as part of a team.
4. Job Responsibility
- Collaborate with Project team, Government Institutions and International experts serve the project and organization on a range of governance issues.
- Provide technical/strategic advice to project team to integrate the government policy and guidelines on public financial management, legal, regulatory, policy frameworks, public advocacy and oversight, transparency and accountability, and gender and social inclusion in the project.
- Work closely with various team members, both in Nepal (Country Director, Program Development Manager, etc.) as well as in Canada (Program Officer, Regional Director, etc.).
- Assist/advice the team leader in the execution of project activities regularly.
- Prepare reports, speaking points and background information for the project, mainly on governance related issues.
- Take lead to design, facilitate and evaluate research, training and capacity building events related to leadership, governance and accountability.
- Work closely with project team to design, host and facilitate events (workshop, sharing, dialogue, campaign etc.) at national and local level.
- Cooperate with national and local partners for effective implementation of the project, and contribute to a constructive dialogue and broad network with national and local stakeholders.
- Advise project and project partners at the national and local level to design and implement mechanism/tools/measures for governance, transparency and accountability within the project and the institution.
- Visit project districts frequently for the monitoring of ongoing activities and provide backstopping/mentoring support to the partners on governance and accountability matters.
- Coordinate with the policy partner organization to produce and disseminate policy papers through a process of multi-stakeholder dialogues, research and consultations.
- Develop institutional relationships between project partners and government actors, emerging leaders, policy institutions.
- Consult regularly with political, government and social leaders at the national and local level to ensure multiple perspectives are included in policy papers and media outputs.
- Master’s Degree in political science, law, rural/community development, public administration, public policy, or other related social science.
- At least 5 years of working experience in governance and accountability related project/ programme.
- Proven skill in designing, facilitating and evaluating research, training and capacity building on the mechanism and tools of governance, transparency, citizen-state engagement and accountability.
- A deep understanding of Government, Civil Society and Civic movement in Nepal.
- Ability to develop and maintain high level contacts with government agencies, donor organizations, civil society, local bodies.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Advance skill in using computer and IT.
- Ability to transfer technical knowledge into project designs, project reports and policy papers.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Nepali required. Knowledge of other local language is an advantage.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Prior experience in promoting technology for the citizen-state engagement would be an asset.
6. Salary: The annual gross salary is NPR. 18,00,000.
Interested candidates should apply electronically with their full bio-data by the 20thof September 2019 at the following address.
Email address to send the application: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for further selection process.
- No telephone inquiries will be entertained with respect to this announcement.
Women and candidates from marginalized groups and those identified as LGBTIQ+ are encouraged to apply.