- Company: DAI
- Industry: Other
- Address: Baluwatar
- Please check details below.
- Please check details below.
Detailed Job Description / Requirements
USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Request for Applications- Disaster Preparedness and Response Specialist
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments. More information about DAI can be found on the DAI website (www.dai.com).
DAI seeks a Disaster Preparedness and Response Specialist for the USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project.
Applicants should apply via Formsite at this link by no later than August 31, 2019: https://fs9.formsite.com/daisuppliers/oiuh9cdwcn/index.html
Select the position in which you are interested in applying for, fill out the required information and upload CV. Only finalist candidates will be contacted. No phone calls or in-person applications will be accepted. Positions are for Nepal Nationals only.
Detail Scope of Work:
Position: Disaster Preparedness and Response Specialist
Level of Effort:One Year Full-time, Fixed Term Contract, with possibility of extension until the close of the project
Period of Performance:on/about October 1, 2019 – September 30, 2020
Base of Operations: Kathmandu, with travel to priority Tayar municipalities
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Management Project will strengthen the capacity of Nepal’s national and municipal institutions responsible for disaster preparedness and response. In a country prone to a myriad of natural disasters, at the national level Tayar Nepal will build the capacity of disaster risk management (DRM) institutions, including the newly created National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA). Locally, Tayar will support eight urban municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans and then support the prioritization and implementation of a set of technical assistance packages improve disaster resilience. In the event of a disaster over the life of the five-year project, USAID/Nepal may engage the program’s rapid emergency response mechanism. Tayar will work closely with the Government of Nepal and Nepali emergency responders to mobilize technical assistance, commodity support, small-scale infrastructure, and information management support. Tayar will apply lessons learned from disaster response efforts to improve national-level DRM systems and municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
The Disaster Preparedness and Response Specialist is a Key Personnel position responsible to provide technical expertise in the areas of emergency preparedness, response and recovery across Tayar’s national and municipal-level programing. In the event of a disaster and resulting task order, in coordination with the COP and DAI Home Office Project Manager, mobilize and oversee activities of Tayar emergency response teams. In coordination with DCOP, ensure lessons learned from utilizing Tayar’s rapid emergency response mechanism are used to adaptively manage Tayar’s approach to national-level DRM systems and municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
- Provide technical expertise in the areas of emergency preparedness, response and recovery to Tayar’s national and municipal-level programing under Components 1 and 2.
- In collaboration with the DRM Governance Specialist and Tayar partners, design and conduct a pre-simulation consultation with NDMA to refine simulation objectives, clarify responsibilities and plan logistics. Support NDMA in designing and leading a series of national simulation exercises around specific themes, such as disaster response system coordination and evacuations during emergency response.
- In the event of a disaster and resulting task order, supervise the Component 3 technical assistance. Conduct and oversee rapid situation report and communications, design and scope interventions. Work with HO Project Manager to mobilize assistance, manage implementation, and closeout and learning of task order.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with relevant Government of Nepal and DRM stakeholder representatives.
- Monitor policy and political changes that potentially affect implementation or delivery and propose mitigation measures.
- Provide high-quality contributions to technical deliverables including annual work plans and progress reporting.
- At least 15 years of experience in disaster preparedness, emergency response management, humanitarian assistance, disaster recovery and reconstruction, and urban planning.
- Minimum of 10 years of supervisory experience, including at least 5 years managing field-level project implementation on donor-funded programs.
- Field-level experience managing immediate disaster response and recovery activities in Nepal required. International disaster response experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the political, social, and economic context of Nepal
- University degree in in engineering, urban planning, disaster response or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Level of Effort, Location and Reporting:
The level of effort is 260 days per year. The employment contract will be on a yearly basis, with possible extensions until the close of the project. The Disaster Preparedness and Response Specialist reports to the Deputy Chief of Party. The position is based in Kathmandu, with travel to priority Tayar municipalities.
“Women and people from marginalized communities are highly encouraged to apply”