- Company: CIMMYT International
- Industry: Agriculture
- Address: PO Box 5186
- 2+ years
- Please check vacancy details
Detailed Job Description / Requirements
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking adynamic, self-motivated, service oriented and experienced professional for the position of Assistant Research Associate to support Feed the Future’s Nepal Seed and Fertilizer (NSAF) project. The goal of the project is to build a competitive and synergistic seed and fertilizer value chains for inclusive and sustainable growth in agricultural productivity, business development, and income generation to improve livelihoods in Nepal. The activities under the seed component of the project includes capacity building of public and private sectors for quality seed production, improved variety development of open pollinated and hybrids (including biofortifiedcrops),field trials management,seed business and market development, disseminate best management practices to strengthen partnership among public and private sector project partners. Please see details of the position, location and TOR below and can be found also at www.jobsnepal.com.
Position title: Assistant Research Associate
Reference No: N19125
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinate field operations for the evaluation and validation of new varieties with enhanced tolerance to multiple biotic and abiotic stresses.
- Organize and conduct multi location field trials in collaboration with project partners in Nepal.
- Implement proper field designs, data collection and management, analysis and
- interpretation methods in identifying/recommending new products/technologies for NSAF target crops.
- Visit and supervise field trials, research fields, demonstration plots, seed production sites.
- Work with public and private sector partners to support quality seed production of new crop varieties.
- Enhance capacity of seed company partners in seed processing, storage, marketing and quality control activities.
- Support partners in adapting best seed production and crop management practices.
- Contribute to the overall seed systems activities as per NSAF's objectives.
- Collaborate and ensure effective interface with market development, MEL, socio economics, project management and communication components of the project
- Implementing scaling strategies, strategic research and demonstration activities in
- Collaboration with farmers as well as public and private sector partners.
- Prepare success stories related to the project outcomes to enhance feasibility
- Contribute to prepare journal articles/ scientific publications.
- Organizing technical trainings and demonstrations for farmers and seed company partners.
- Ensure effective networking and good communication links with all key project personnel as well as farmers and public and private partners.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- M.Sc. degree in plant breeding, seed technology, agronomy, horticulture or closely related fieldsand proven experience on field research activities
- The position requires a minimum work experience of 2 years - Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices and procedures within a discipline.
- Proven experiences on the seed production of hybrids and OPVs, management of demonstration and validation trials, variety release procedures, seed regulations, seed quality standards,
- Hands-on experiences in collecting, processing, and analysing experimental data from standard and incomplete block designs
- Excellent computer skills and experience with relevant agriculturaldata analysis software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills both in English and Nepali.
- A high degree of personal organization and ability to multi-task and work under pressure and willing to travel extensively.
- Valid motor cycle driving license holder
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development.
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter to Recruit-Nepal@cgiar.org no later than Monday, 3rd June 2019.
Please include position and reference number in the subject of your email.
Incomplete applications (without CV and cover letter) will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork and respect for diversity.
Women are encouraged to apply.