Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
Position Title: Aquaculture Market Researcher
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal with travel to the field
Reports to: Nepal Country Director, Asia Innovative Farmers Activity
Project Overview: The Feed the Future Asia Innovative Farmers Activity (AIFA) implemented by the Winrock International contributes to the objective of the US Government’s Feed the Future global hunger and food security initiative. The Project supports identification of viable innovative technologies and approaches for smallholder farmers and encouraging them to adopt and scale-up the innovations for improved agricultural productivity and increase incomes. Over the life of the project, it will impact 26,000 smallholder farmers in South and Southeast Asia, improving their access to and use of agricultural technologies and management practices.
Background: AIFA is supporting two aquaculture tech innovators (eFishery and Demand Feeders) interested in learning more about the Nepal aquaculture market to assist with expansion. eFisery is an Indonesia-based firm who has created an automated feeder to adjust the quantity of fish feed, program feeding times, and which is controlled through a smart phone app or laptop. The feeder comes in two sizes for shrimp and fish. As fish feed costs can amount to as much as 80% of aquaculture expenses, the automated feeder can ensure that farmers are effectively converting feed into fish growth.
Demand Feeder invented by a Thai innovator, is a low-cost and time-saving solution to ensure that fish are fed at regular intervals while preserving pond waters by minimalizing the impact of uneaten fish pellets. A demand feeder is filled with fish pellets and floats in the ponds. Fish soon learn the location of the demand feeder and eat whenever conditions are appropriate. The project built on an initial demonstration visit to Nepal by working with a local private sector aquaculture firm to transfer the technology from Thailand.
Objectives: The Aquaculture Market Researcher will provide support to the project to conduct research to gather key information on the Nepal aquaculture sector to inform private sector decisions.
Activities and Deliverables:
The consultant will carry out the following tasks:
- Conduct research (desk/online research, interviews, surveys, field research/visits, etc.) to gather information on the following topics/questions related to the aquaculture sector:
- General information of fish farmers like: name, address, contact no., name of group/cooperative if associated etc.
- Description about fish farming: size of the pond, type of fish raised, how long s/he has been involved in fish farming etc.
- Description about fish feed: feeding practices, types of feed, quantity of feeds, availability of feeds etc.
- Description about feed manufacturing companies: name of feed manufacturer they are using and why etc.
- Total production (unit - kg) for Nepal aquaculture market and breakdown by fish species.
- Total value (USD) for Nepal aquaculture market and breakdown by fish species
- Consumption per capita for fish and shrimp in Nepal
- CAGR for aquaculture industry in the past 10 years
- Projection for aquaculture production in Nepal
- Most farmed fish/shrimp species in Nepal
- Profiles of common fish farms in Nepal
- Profile of a common small medium aquaculture business in Nepal
- Market leader for fish feed in Nepal
- Biggest local player in fish/shrimp farming business in Nepal
- How do farmers buy fish? Are there any distributors in the area?
- Is there any financing access for fish farmers?
- Is there any insurance for fish farmers?
- Role of government in the growth of fish/shrimp production in Nepal
- Synthesize the data and research collected into a draft report, including key findings for private sector partners. All data/research in the report should include references or supporting documents to the source of the information.
- Incorporate any comments/edits/feedback on the draft report into a final report due by January 31, 2019.
Qualifications and Background
- Required Bachelor’s level relevant degree and at least 4 years of practical work experience in aquaculture markets or similar research (or at least eight years of relevant experience).
- The consultant/team should have sound written and verbal communication skills in Nepali and English as well as experience developing, writing and delivering technically sound research reports. Solid analytical skills are also a requirement.
- Previous experience working with USAID-funded projects is a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
Duration: The total period of this assignment will be a maximum of 20 working days to be completed by January 31, 2019.
Individual applicants/consultants should submit a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com by December 21st, 2018.
Firms/Organizations that apply must submit the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 21st, 2018:
- Assignment plan for how the applicant would undertake the tasks in the scope of work and a timetable for carrying the assignment activities.
- Team composition (CVs and responsibilities of staff proposed to complete the work)
- Summary of organizational capacity to conduct the assignment and experience completing similar or related assignments within the last three years
- Financial budget/cost information, including a line-item budget and narrative that justifies expenses
|12 Dec, 18|
|21 Dec, 18|