Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
QUALITY EDUCATION COORDINATOR
TERMS OF REFERENCE
dZi seeks a qualified and motivated individual for the post of Quality Education Coordinator for our Nepal Country Office, starting from August 2019. The Quality Education Coordinator will be responsible for spearheading the quality education program of the dZi Foundation in our working areas of Khotang, Solukhumbu, and Bhojpur. While the post is based initially in Kathmandu, the coordinator will spend a majority of his/her time visiting project locations in the field in later stages of the program.
dZi is a small INGO that partners with communities in Eastern region of Nepal to build sustainable locally-driven programs that improve quality of life and increase prosperity for communities and individuals. We accomplish this through helping community members gain the skills, knowledge, and experience necessary to achieve this end themselves.
Our programs incorporate a ‘deep development’ model that empowers our partner communities to be involved in all aspects of program design and implementation. We work in a focused area of Eastern Nepal and seek to provide long-term and comprehensive support across all development sectors.
Since the past 10 years, dZi has been involved in helping improve the physical infrastructure of schools in its partner communities. Now dZi is looking to expand its work into supporting rural schools on improving the quality of education as well, with a few major goals:
- Increase student attendance in Government schools
- Decrease dropout rates for female students
- Decrease truancy rates by 50%
- Increase student performance by 25% as reflected by standardized test performance in the SEE, class 8 and class 5 exams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Quality Education Coordinator will be responsible for leading the conceptualization and programmatic launch of our new quality education program. The first six months of the position will mainly be occupied by conceptualization, creating long term strategies, hiring, and building out an implementation plan that will achieve our major goals within a 2 year period.
The post is open to Nepali nationals ready to make a long-term commitment to an innovative organization. Applicants must be self-motivated creative thinkers who have a demonstrated ability to work without immediate supervision and are eager to spend extended periods of time working with – and learning from -some of the most remote communities in Nepal. The Quality Education Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director, Deputy Country Director, dZi Foundation field staff, and our local NGO counterparts to ensure successful project implementation and management as well as supporting fundraising efforts.
This position is responsible for creating long term strategy, program planning and successful implementation of all dZi's quality education program in selected schools and working areas. This will be accomplished through the following specific tasks.
Planning Phase – 5 months
- Meeting local stakeholders to better understand and refine program objectives and goals based upon local needs and existing capacities
- Assess the current status of community schools to establish a baseline and inform program strategy
- Design a 5-year project strategy that includes piloting and scaling strategies, designed to meet project objectives in a given timeline
- Create an implementation strategy and timeline, including budgeting and major milestones
- Meeting with, and selecting implementing partners and resource agencies to support the implementation
- Successfully hiring additional support staff if relevant
Program Implementation Phase (Starting January 2020)
- Prepare and implement a project orientation curriculum for all dZi stakeholders, NGO partners, and local schools
- Successfully launching the project and managing effective implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and improvement of the strategy
- Coordinate with related governmental and other non-governmental bodies as required
- Coordinate with dZi construction team to introduce school designs and other infrastructures that will promote the objectives of the quality education program
- Support fundraising for the program through developing materials, budgets, timelines, strategies, etc.
- Continually research teaching methodologies, innovations, and resources to incorporate into the program
We favor personality, creativity, and experience equally for this position. Candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrated passion for improving educational opportunities for rural students in Nepal
- Strong written and verbal Nepali skills, and a working knowledge of the English language. Strong written and spoken English is a plus
- Completion of a Bachelor's Degree in a suitable field completed Graduate study preferred
- At least 3 years' experience of working in the education sector - including working with rural schools to improve education standards, educational material creation, curriculum development, teaching, etc.
- Willingness and ability to spend extended periods of time working in extremely remote areas, including walking on foot for multiple days over rough terrain.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work closely with local staff, teachers, School Management Committee representatives, and other relevant stakeholders
- Demonstrated honesty and integrity
- Proven critical thinking and ability to work creatively
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent facilitation skills and proven abilities to design and implement trainings for a wide range of stakeholders ranging from local community members to local government representatives and teachers
The post holder must commit to following dZi’s personnel policies and procedures and adhere to its core beliefs and values.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their CV along with a cover letter, two professional references, and salary expectations to the given email address with ‘Quality Education Coordinator Posting’ in the subject line by June 30, 2019. Women and members of marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
No phone calls, please.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
|Expression of Interest|
|03 Jun, 19|
|30 Jun, 19|