Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
Category: Municipal Coordinators (Palika Coordinators)
Contract Duration: 3 years with possibly extension of further 3 years
Openings: 10 numbers for municipalities
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in any relevant field from reputed university. Master’s degree will be an advantage.
Duty station: Municipalities of Sudurpashchim and Province 5
Application due date: 20 November 2019
TEAM Consult is a national consulting firm which works on policy development and institutional reform with GoN and building the skills and knowledge of staff within different sectors. Established in 1995, TEAM Consult brings a long history managing and supporting various projects and programmes to build capacity and knowledge of the GoN in public private partnership, public financial management, procurement and human resource development. Throughout this time, TEAM Consult has gained extensive experience providing technical assistance and advice, building capacity of the government staffs, reviewing and reforming PFM systems, assessing fiduciary risk and strengthening transparency and accountability in public spending.
USAID Nepal Sajhedari-Support to Federalism (STF)
TOR for Municipal Coordinators (Palika coordinators)
The USAID Nepal Sajhedari-Support to Federalism (STF) project seeks the dynamic Nepali professionals to fill the position of Municipal Coordinators (Palika coordinators). Sajhedari-STF project is a six-year technical assistance project that aims to support the Government of Nepal in the transition from a unitary state to a three-tiered federal system and enhance citizen participation in and oversight of local governance. This support will be focused on achievement of the following objectives:
Objective 1: The GoN creates sound policies and legislation that empower, finance and regulate provincial and municipal governments;
Objective 2: Provincial and municipal governments are more responsive, accountable, transparent and effective; and
Objective 3: Citizens and civil society organizations in the target municipalities are more involved in local decision-making and oversight.
Palika Coordinators will report to the Governance Strengthening Lead-Objective II.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Support /Facilitate Palikas to develop and update capacity-building plans.
- Support Palikas to conduct initial self-profiling and mapping exercises with partner palikas
- Support in capacity development to partner palikas in coordination with the Objective Lead, Municipal Training Specialist and province staffs.
- Support Palikas to develop and update profiles, periodic plans, multiyear budgeting and expenditure framework.
- Assist/Facilitate municipalities to develop/ update own-source revenue plans.
- Support Palikas for mediation and alternative dispute resolution through the newly established Judicial Committees.
- Maintain working relations with Palikas, Development Partners, private sector, local government institutions at palika level and other USAID and other development partner funded projects in the Palika.
- Report on progress of activities in all partner Palika and provide regular feedback to the Objective Leads, Municipal Training Specialist and DCOP.
- Regular Support the municipality in planning, budgeting and social mapping, related to Governance and GESI.
- Regular support in participatory planning process, public finance Management (PFM) and assist the Palika to design and formulate budgetary systems.
- Build capacity of Palika elected officials and staff in the areas of planning, monitoring, evaluation of Sajhedari program including other sector wide programs of Palika.
- Lead communication and stakeholder engagement activities with local government, civil society and private sector.
- Participate in field activities for selection, quality assurance, monitoring of activities in all Objective area across the Palika.
- Collaborate with other district-level agencies, and ensure effective knowledge-sharing and lesson-learning
- Ensure the timely submission of reports and participate in program review meetings.
- Support the program activities by rapport building with community and local stakeholders to conduct meetings and create environment for meaningful participation and to develop trust, tolerance and co-operation among community members.
- Make site visits as appropriate and meet with other relevant agencies in order to better understand the external environment in which palikas are operating and the ways in which it relates to, or could relate to other Sajhedari Objective initiatives.
- Assess capacity and reform process in partner palikas, identify needs, and build agreements on steps, conditions and scope of engagement and come with suggested reforms and support required in Palika
- Mediate between varying interests at local and district levels to ensure that proper decision making and implementation of Sajhedari activities.
- Represent Sajhedari Program in the Palika Level.
- Perform other duties as required by the Sajhedari programme.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in any relevant field
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in local administration in Nepal, including capacity building, and institutional strengthening and delivery
- 2 years’ experience in bottom up planning and governance support at a local level, preferably on a donor-funded projects (USAID, LGCDP experience an advantage)
- Good experience working with minority or disadvantaged groups in the Terai, Hills and a strong sensitivity to the challenges of Gender and social inclusion.
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges of governance and federalism.
- Demonstrated understanding of municipal administration and governance system.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills, but also a team player with the willingness to learn and support the learning of others
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with local Government
- Ability to work effectively in remote areas, and willing to travel extensively throughout the project area, including on foot as well as by bus and motorbike.
- Fluency in written and spoken Nepali and English is essential, and fluency in relevant local languages spoken in the project area would be a strong asset.
The positions will be based in concern Palikas (likely palikas of Sudurpashchim and province 5). Local applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Sajhedari Program is an Affirmative Action and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Female, and Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com before 20th November 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
|Please check vacancy details.|
|Please check vacancy details|
|20 Oct, 19|
|20 Nov, 19|