Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
POSITION TITLE: Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)/Agriculture (D3)
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party (COP)
The Knowledge-based Integrated Sustainable Agriculture in Nepal (KISAN) II Project is a USAID funded five-year second phase of the USAID Feed the Future (FTF) initiative in Nepal. The aim of KISAN II is to increase resilience, inclusiveness, and sustainability of income growth in the FTF zone of influence. The US$ 32.70 million project is implemented by Winrock International in collaboration with five other Nepali and US based organizations: Center for Environmental and Agricultural Policy, Research, Extension and Development (CEAPRED), Development Project Service Center (DEPROSC), Digital Green, Siddhartha Inc, and Overseas Strategic Consulting (OSC).
KISAN II’s approach begins with the identification of constraints within key market systems and then addressing those constraints through project partners and initiatives. At the core of the KISAN II private sector-led facilitative approach is promoting the business case for buyers, intermediaries, and service providers to improve their business outcomes through more substantial engagement with producers and other value chain actors. KISAN engages partners across components, holistically supporting market system development by addressing issues related to marketing and business capacity (Component 2), farm-level productivity (Component 1), the enabling environment (Component 3), support for resiliency and integration of poor, marginalized populations (Component 4), and adaptive management (Component 5) to ensure maximum impact. KISAN II works in twenty-five Hill and Terai districts in the province number 3, 5, 6 and 7 of the country over a five-year period.
The DCOP/Agriculture oversees marketing and business capacity (Component 2), farm-level productivity (Component 1), and support for resiliency and integration of poor, marginalized populations through business literacy activities (Component 4) and will closely coordinate with Component 3 and 5 teams under the guidance and supervision of the COP. The DCOP/Ag is responsible to coordinate with all field staff including directors and managers in Kathmandu especially on agriculture technologies, bringing innovation and linking with market systems, business literacy, guiding to create enabling environment for private sector participation with the support of the COP.
- Provide technical direction to the project’s market systems approach;
- Support the Chief of Party in designing and implementing program activities at all levels.
- Implement a market-led strategy that incentivizes private sector investment in upgrading agriculture market infrastructure and supporting services;
- Identify and work closely with agriculture market actors, particularly private sector actors, to improve capacity and services in rural areas.
- Work with financial institutions, end-markets, and service providers to increase access to markets, inputs and services;
- Develop Terms of Reference / scope of work for studies and other program related activities
- Manage technical staff and provide strategic direction for project implementation
- Effectively inspire cluster business managers to work like a business consultant
- Ensure project technical activities are progressing according to annual work plan milestones and timeframes;
- Ensure that grants are supporting project goals and the market system;
- Work closely with MEL team to ensure streamlined data collection and analysis;
- Review inputs for and draft sections of annual work plans, trimester and annual reports;
- Supervise the technical work of local and expatriate consultants and subcontractors fielded under the program (as assigned) and ensure their end-of-assignment deliverables and performance results are consistent with and compliant with the consultant’s scope of work, are of high technical quality and good overall readability, and are acceptable to USAID.
- Develop approaches and interventions that foster inclusion of vulnerable and disenfranchised populations.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Preferably a Master’s level degree or higher in one of the agricultural sciences such as agronomy, agriculture economics or horticulture; MBA with experience in the agriculture sector and extensive knowledge / expertise in agricultural technologies will also be acceptable.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in agribusiness development projects and aMaster’s level degreeOR ten years of experience and a Bachelor’slevel degree;
- Experience in a leadership position with a private business, a contractor or international NGO managing program(s) or operations of similar complexity and scale is preferred;
- Expertise in market system facilitation approaches, including the use of “good practice” principles, behavior change methodologies, tactics to address incentives and disincentives, and skills for developing a local system that will sustain market systems over time is preferred;
- Track record of working with financial service providers, investors, and private sector in agricultural value chains
- Experience working in the private sector or building capacity of and establishing linkages with private sector actors
Skills & Knowledge:
- Excellent management, communication, and organization skills
- Knowledge of agriculture and markets
- Excellent computer skills (MS office)
- Fluency in English
- Excellent report writing skills
- Market analysis or similar skills preferred
- Strong team player
Disclaimer: This position is contingent upon donor approval.
How to Apply: Interested candidates can post their cover letter and CV to Jobs.KISAN@winrock.org within COB July 10, 2019. Applicants should reference Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)/Agriculture in the subject line. Applications received after the stipulated date will not be entertained.
|Please check vacancy details|
|10 Jun, 19|
|10 Jul, 19|