Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
Coordination Unit PFM Expert
- Category: Regional PFM Expert
- Position Type: Contract
- Contract Duration: 4 years
- Openings: 1
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in business studies, business administration or equivalent from reputed university. Master’s degree / having professional qualifications (such as CA/ACCA/CPA) will be an advantage.
- City: Coordination Unit, Surkhet
- Application due date: 28 October 2019
TEAM Consult is a national consulting firm which works on policy development and institutional reform with GoN and building the skills and knowledge of staff within different sectors. Established in 1995, TEAM Consult brings a long history managing and supporting various projects and programmes to build capacity and knowledge of the GoN in public private partnership, public financial management, procurement and human resource development. Throughout this time, TEAM Consult has gained extensive experience providing technical assistance and advice, reviewing and reforming PFM systems, assessing fiduciary risk and strengthening transparency and accountability in public spending.
Mott MacDonaldand TEAM Consult has recently been awarded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) as the Technical Assistance Provider for the “Nepal Climate Change Support Programme Phase 2 (NCCSP2), led by the Ministry of Forest and Environment. NCCSP was designed with an aim to ensure that the poorest and most vulnerable communities in Nepal are able to adapt to the effects of climate change. Team Consult is a consortium partner to Mott MacDonald for delivering PFM related activities. NCCSP2 will operate in up to 52 Palikas in Provinces 5,6 and 7. The aim of NCCSP2 is to:
- Support the poorest and most vulnerable communities and local enterprises in western Nepal to become more resilient to the impacts of climate change;
- Use participatory, evidence-based processes to identify long-term adaptation priorities; and integrate these into Government of Nepal planning and policy;
- Build the capacity of Government of Nepal to finance, design and deliver adaptation interventions;
- Improve coordination of community-based adaptation interventions and generate evidence that can improve the quality of future adaptation planning
The objectives of the Technical Assistance to NCCSP2 is to support and build the capacity of the Government of Nepal to deliver the programme. The TA to the NCCSP2 comprises of 4 objectives:
- Help the Government of Nepal (GoN) to deliver the programme effectively, efficiently, and economically through the provision of technical expertise
- Reduce the fiduciary risk associated with the programme
- Strengthen the capacity of the GoN to implement climate change adaptation programming today and in the future
- Share learning from NCCSP with others and lead the coordination of partners working on climate change adaptation in Nepal
The overall goal of the position is to support public financial management system improvement and oversight of fiduciary risks of selected Municipalities related to Climate Change resilience mainstreaming, remaining based at provincial level coordination unit. Therefore, broadly the objectives are divided into two portions:
- To support financial management system improvement of Municipalities in areas relevant to NCCSP,
- To carry out financial monitoring and oversight of NCCSP programme activities.
2. SPECIFIC TASKS
The following are the specific tasks to be carried out:
Activities related to financial management system improvement
- In coordination with PFM expert at PMU level, support identifying capacity development needs or capacity gaps in areas of financial management of selected Municipalities and implementation of capacity development activities envisaged in capacity development strategy or financial management improvement plans of NCCSP, broadly in area of Climate Change Resilience mainstreaming.
- Explore what other projects and initiatives are providing support to PfM and report that to NCCSP2 TA management
- Provide guidance to Cluster level TA or Municipality finance personnel, as required, to interpret and implement financial management related requirements of NCCSP2, as detailed in the Operational Guidelines and other relevant guidelines.
- Support on-the-job capacity development of Municipality finance personnel or other relevant staffs, as per NCCSP2 capacity development plans.
- Support, organising and imparting PFM training programmes in the selected Municipalities, relevant to NCCSP capacity development strategy:
Indicative areas of intervention include: Good governance (accountability, ethics and professionalism, tone-at-top, clarity of roles, strategy setting, performance measurement), Internal Control System (planning and budgeting, budget execution, climate budget codes, procurement, accounting and reporting including SuTRA, monitoring and evaluation, audits) and Risk Management, especially Fiduciary Risk Management (anti-fraud and corruption, transparency, Value for money, accurate financial reporting). Training programmes will be defined as per NCCSP strategy and needs at the Municipality-level.
Targeted participants for training include members of accounts committee, senior management, internal auditors, procurement officers, and accounts personnel.
Activities related to financial monitoring and oversight
1. Assist in annual performance measurement of each Municipalities, as determined by PMU.
2. Carry out timely and risk-based monitoring of designated Municipalities, especially regarding adherence with NCCSP2 Operational Guidelines.
3. Regularly report on findings from the monitoring of NCCSP, and immediately report on red-flags or suspected misuse identified during monitoring.
4. Support review of financial reports submitted by Municipalities (in case on-treasury support) for accuracy and quality.
5. Supervise financial monitoring of Municipalities carried out by Cluster level TA. Support compiling and summarising key findings reported by Cluster offices of respective Municipalities.
6. Supervise and support compiling of recommendations at Municipality level, provided by other parties, such as internal auditors and Office of Auditor General’s external audit of Municipalities.
7. Assist in external reviews or assurance activities carried out by third parties, such as spot checks, donor reviews, etc.
8. Support preparing and updating Municipality-wise risk profiles, based on information gathered through primary or secondary sources
9. Carry out mapping of PFM interventions at province level, by government and other relevant programmes.
10. Support province level coordination with relevant stakeholders such as province government, relevant government programmes, donor units, etc.
11. Work as per requirements of PMU on the areas of public financial management.
3. MANAGEMENT AND REPORTING ARRANGEMENTS
Provincial Level PFM Expert will be stationed at Coordination unit, Surkhet, with requirement to travel frequently to the programme area (Karnali province, Sudurpaschim province and Province no. 5).
S/he will have duty of functional reporting to PFM Expert at PMU level, Kathmandu and administrative reporting to Regional Coordinator at Coordination unit, Surkhet.
4. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in business studies, business administration or equivalent from reputed university. Master’s degree in those areas or having professional qualifications (such as CA/ACCA/CPA) will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in Nepali and English and good communication skills.
- At least 4 years of experience including experience in accounting, budgeting, assurance or financial reporting role, with at least one-year experience in public sector/development sector of Nepal.
- Experience of working in remote areas of Nepal will be an added advantage.
- Experience of implementing effective internal control systems and providing capacity development inputs is essential.
- Ability to organize work and projects and to adapt to changing circumstances (flexibility);
- Good analytical, negotiating, advocacy, inter-personal communication skills;
- Good report writing skills in Nepali and English;
- Proficiency in Excel, Power point and Word
Interested applicants should send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before 25th October 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
|Please check vacancy details|
|27 Sep, 19|
|25 Oct, 19|