Detailed Job description / requirements:
USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Position: Graphic Designer
Level of Effort: STTA, 60 days
Tentative Period of Performance: October 1, 2020 – September 30, 2021
Base of Operations: Kathmandu
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Management Project will strengthen the capacity of Nepal’s national and municipal institutions responsible for disaster preparedness and response. In a country prone to a myriad of natural disasters, at the national level Tayar Nepal will build the capacity of disaster risk management (DRM) institutions, including the newly created National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Agency (NDRRMA). Locally, Tayar will support eight urban municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans and then support the prioritization and implementation of a set of technical assistance packages improve disaster resilience. In the event of a disaster over the life of the five-year project, USAID/Nepal may engage the program’s rapid emergency response mechanism. Tayar will work closely with the Government of Nepal and Nepali emergency responders to mobilize technical assistance, commodity support, small-scale infrastructure, and information management support. Tayar will apply lessons learned from disaster response efforts to improve national-level DRM systems and municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
The primary role of the Graphic Design Consultant is to support Tayar Nepal by providing creative design serviceson an as-needed basis, in particular infographics, layout and other graphic design upon request for Tayar Nepal’s knowledge products and study reports in English and Nepali. The consultant will work closely with the Communication and Outreach Specialist and Communications Officer to ensure that graphics display technical information in a compelling, visually attractive and accurate way.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Communication and Outreach Specialist and in coordination with the Communications Officer and Senior Communications Specialist, the Graphic Design Consultant will:
- Design infographics for the final report and summary report of the USAID Tayar Nepal that visualizes data based on requirement in a compelling and attractive manner.
- Design graphics and layout for Tayar Nepal produced knowledge products and sub products
- Design Tayar Nepal dissemination materials (poster, fact sheet, flyers, etc.) with appropriate use of infographics and creative designs, include creating images as required
- Formatting and design of Tayar Nepal’s studies upon request, applying Tayar Nepal’s standard reporting template.
- Any other graphic designs when required.
- All product/deliverables must meet minimum standard of quality, include:
- Format: JPEG, TIFF, BMP, PNG
- Colors: Both RGB and CMYK
- Resolution: High (minimum 300 dpi)
- Open file of the final design shall also be submitted
Level of Effort and Timeline:
The Graphic Designer position will be based in Kathmandu. The level of effort (LOE) is up to 60 days on an intermittent basis between on/ about 1 October 2020 to September 30, 2021. The LOE for specific pieces of work will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
Qualifications and Experiences
- At least 5 years of proven graphic designing experience
- Familiarity with design software and technologies such as In Design, Illustrator, Adobe Creative and Photoshop, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Strong portfolio of illustrations or other graphics – need to be provided along with the submission of application
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work within deadlines
- Degree in design, fine arts or related field is preferable
- Preferred skill: Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite programs, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, and various social media.
Interested applicants should submit an updated CV to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by September 25, 2020.
Women and persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantaged communities are encouraged to apply.