Gender Equity and Social Inclusion Advisor
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Position Title: Gender Equity and Social Inclusion Advisor
Office Location: Kathmandu Nepal
Full or Part-Time: Full-Time
New or Replacement: Contingent upon award
To Apply: Apply@wi-her.org
Anticipated Project Award Date: 8/30/21
Submission Closing Date: 12/27/20
WI-HER, LLC (Women Influencing Health, Education and Rule of Law) is an economically and socially disadvantaged, woman-owned small business based in the Washington D.C. area, with active programs working in 32 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and Caribbean, and the Middle East. Established in 2008, the company has extensive experience in strengthening the capacity of individuals, communities, and organizations to grow, thrive, and prosper. WI-HER’s technical expertise stands out in gender and social inclusion; monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL), and adaptation; capacity development; and Knowledge Management. Our sector experience targets health, nutrition, education, land rights and agriculture, energy and infrastructure, and organizational and human resource management and economic reform. WI-HER’s work is guided by three overarching principles: human rights and gender and social integration; country ownership; and rigorous accountability. With a holistic approach, we work at government, organizational, and community levels to address gender and social disparities and to recognize and respond to inequalities that obstruct the journey to self-reliance.
WI-HER seeks a Gender Equity and Social Inclusion (GESI) Advisor for an anticipated USAID-funded Civil Society and Media (CSM) Activity in Nepal. The five-year project will provide technical assistance and capacity building to civil society and media to improve their effectiveness in advancing and protecting fundamental freedoms, strengthening public and private sector accountability, and improving equitable access to quality public services. USAID/Nepal CSM has the following Objectives:
- Strengthen space for civil society and media to advance democratic principles of a free and equal society.
- Strengthen civil society and media’s engagement with federal, provincial, and local governments and the private sector to advance public interests and public accountability.
- Strengthen informational integrity and media independence to advance freedom of expression and right to information for the citizens.
The GESI Advisor will provide technical leadership for the Nepal CSM Activity’s cross cutting GESI mainstreaming activities and ensure the design, implementation and integration of quality GESI approaches into programming. S/He will contribute to the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan (AMELP), ensuring that GESI related indicators are thoughtfully developed and routinely reported on to measure progress and performance and communicate learning. The GESI Advisor will work in close partnership with the broader project staff and partners, Government of Nepal national and subnational counterparts (including municipal, district, and province), and other relevant stakeholders at the community level to support the achievement of overall Nepal CSM Activity objectives.
- Technically supervise GESI activities including the design, development and implementation of mainstreaming activities; collaborate and coordinate with Project Consortium Partners to strengthen GESI sensitive approaches within all technical assistance.
- Lead GESI training, capacity development, supportive supervision and other coaching and mentoring of project staff and stakeholders to strengthen GESI awareness, individual and institutional capacity, and project outcomes.
- Enhance civil society organization (CSO) and media’s understanding of GESI and its implications in the federal system of governance, and embedded GESI as priority public interests’ agenda in CSO and media’s actions.
- Institutionalize GESI by CSOs and media in their internal institutional governance system.
- Increase and strengthen leadership roles of women and girls, youth, and marginalized people in CSO and media advocacy and oversight activities.
- Advance GESI friendly COVID-19 and other emergencies recovery processes, services products and accountability mechanisms and engage systematically with the relevant government authorities.
- Regularly travel to project target geographies to provide GESI focused technical support and mentorship to implementing partners; coordinate and collaborate with USAID or other donor implementing partners on GESI interventions, as relevant.
- Contribute to work plans, quarterly and annual reports, and other reports and papers summarizing project results and evidence; prepare regular reports documenting processes, outputs and outcomes of GESI work.
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to seek and communicate greater understanding of the perspectives of women, Dalits, Janajatis, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, persons with disabilities, and other excluded group, and passion to champion GESI transformative approaches.
- Master’s degree or higher in social work, public health, health administration, gender studies, international health or a related field.
- At least 10 years’ experience implementing and/or providing GESI related technical assistance for governance and social accountability programs in Nepal.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies.
- Professional experience and ability to engage with GON and CSO leadership on sensitive political and GESI related issues.
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: organizational capacity development; advocacy; MEL; data analysis; technical writing; training; curricula development.
- Demonstrated experience strengthening GESI mainstreaming and integration of GESI approaches and methodologies into development projects.
- Experience with USAID/Nepal projects addressing GESI in various sectors and general familiarity with USG compliance and reporting requirements considered highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently and manage a high volume workflow without constant or close supervision and ability and willingness to travel to program areas and internationally as required.
- Excellent training skills in working with adult learners, particularly at the community level; experience in an appreciative approach a plus.
- Demonstrated success implementing programming at the national and community level.
- Expertise in and sensitivity to the socio-cultural barriers facing intended constituents for this project.
- Demonstrated leadership and team-building skills.
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication skills; English language fluency required.
To apply or inquire, please send your CV and cover letter with email subject line “Nepal GESI Advisor” to: Apply@wi-her.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WI-HER, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.