Detailed Job description / requirements:
USAID Tayar Nepal - Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Scope of Work
Embedded Advisor to NDRRMA’s Chief Executive
Proposed Personnel: TBD
Position: Embedded Advisor
Level of Effort: 130 days (6 months) full time. The position may be extended.
Period of Performance: On/about March 1 – August 31, 2020
Base of Operations: Kathmandu, Nepal
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal– Improved Disaster Risk Management Project (Tayar Nepal) will strengthen the capacity of Nepal’s national and sub-national institutions responsible for disaster risk reduction, preparedness and response. Nationally, Tayar Nepal works with the newly created National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA) and other disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM) entities to improve how national-level systems and institutions respond to all types of natural hazards. Locally, Tayar Nepal works in target municipalities to enhance local DRRM capacity by working with existing and new local bodies and communities to identify and implement successful DRRM initiatives which are consistent with national level policies and guidelines. In the event of a disaster, USAID/Nepal may engage the project’s rapid emergency response mechanism. The program will apply lessons learned from disaster response efforts to improve national-level DRRM systems and municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
The NDRRMA, which under the federal system is organized under the Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA), is mandated to lead DRRM coordination among government at all levels (federal, provincial and local) and oversee implementation of the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) National Strategic Action Plan 2018-2030. As a new government authority, NDRRMA needs to finalize its organizational structure and position descriptions, confirm the technical function of each division, develop operating procedures and confirm its federal budget allocation. The Embedded Advisor will work closely with NDRRMA’s newly appointed Chief Executive (CE) to establish the governance framework and day-to-day operations of the authority.
The Embedded Advisor will co-locate within NDRRMA and will be a continuous resource to the Chief Executive (CE) and NDRRMA’s leadership. S/he will provide discrete support to stand-up and operationalize NDRRMA’s technical and operational functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the CE and NDRRMA leadership to identify the authority’s immediate priorities which will form the basis on NDRRMA’s first annual plan.
- Support NDRRMA and other key stakeholders of GON to identify NRDRRMA’s medium and long-terms actions and priorities aligned with the Disaster Risk Reduction National Strategic Plan of Action 2018-2030.
- Review and advise on the authority’s human resources management plan, including finalizing the organizational structure, technical functions of each division, and position descriptions. Support recruitment and onboarding of key staff.
- Support NDRRMA’sleadership to review the Organizational and Management (O&M) study conducted through the United Nations Development Programme’s Comprehensive Disaster Risk Management Programme (UNDP/CDRMP) and identify steps to facilitate the establishment of the NDRRMA.
- Support the CE and NDRRMA leadership to collaborate across GON institutions to develop a system to monitor the implementation of DRRMactions and priorities. Support development of key performance indicators aligned to current fifteenth five year plan developed by National Planning Commission (NPC).
- Support NDRRMA’s work to develop policies, procedures, and mechanisms to coordinate with provincial and municipal governments.
- Support NDRRMA leadership and other identified champions within GON and private sector to advocate for public funding for DRRM priorities.
- Prepare and submit a brief 1-2 page monthly report that summarizes key activities and meetings. The report is to be submitted no later than the 15th of each month.
- Other duties as requested by the NDRRMA’s Chief Executive and Tayar Nepal’s program leadership.
Level of Effort, Location, and Reporting:
The Embedded Advisor will be full-time for six (6) months, with the possibility that the position may be extended. The position will be based in Kathmandu and co-located and embedded within the NDRRMA. The Embedded Advisor report directly to Tayar Nepal’s DRM Governance Specialist, and under the oversight of the NDRRMA’s Chief Executive and Tayar Nepal’s Chief of Party. The Embedded Advisor is required to submit a brief 1-2 page monthly report that summarizes key activities and meetings. The report is to be submitted no later than the 15th of each month.
Qualifications and Experiences:
- At least 14 years of experience of organizational development including relevant work in law, public policy, or public administration
- Experience in assessing organizational capability and implementing associated capacity building programming
- Knowledge of Nepal’s current federal & governance system
- Work experience with Government of Nepal will be preferred.
- Master’sdegree in relevant field required.
Interested applicants should submit an updated CV along with the financial proposal and daily technical rate/fee to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by February 14, 2020.
Note: “Candidates who have previously applied for the above position do not need to re-apply."
Women and persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantaged communities are encouraged to apply.