Database Management and Administrator (Consultant)
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) promotes democratic stability by providing technical assistance and applying field-based research to the electoral cycle worldwide to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil societies, governance and transparency. Every IFES project is staffed by national and international staff while partnering with local organizations. This homegrown approach ensures that the expertise offered by IFES fits the needs of the country or client and the benefit of assistance outlasts the life of the project. Our work is nonpartisan and also includes projects that: Help citizens participate in their democracies Increase politicians' accountability to the electorate Strengthen government institutions Since its founding in 1987, IFES has worked in more than 100 countries - from developing democracies such as Liberia, to mature democracies such as the United States.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is an international NGO that supports the building of democratic societies around the world through technical assistance to electoral stakeholders to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil society, governance and transparency.
IFES Nepal is seeking a qualified candidate for a position of Database Management and Administrator. This is a Consultant position. Under the guidance of the IFES Nepal Country Director and Deputy Country Director, the Database Management and Administrator will support IFES’ work with the Election Commission, Nepal (ECN) on the ECN’s IT systems and election technology support. This position will be full time and will work in the ECN headquarters office in Kathmandu.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· To collect and collate voter and election data from Data Collection Application (DCA) and District Voter List Application (DVLA).
· To integrate DVLA data into the Central Voter List Application (CVLA).
· To resolve data or database issues/problems faced during data collection.
· To refine or clean the data of duplicate voters and other details, as required.
· To prepare the details of voter list required for the voter list claim and objection program.
· To update the voter list on the basis of requests received from the voter list claims and objections program.
· To prepare the details of final voter list for electoral events.
· To prepare data for and to produce the voter list with photo and Voter ID Cards for new or updated voters.
· To establish basic data guard for the voter data security and to manage regular data synchronization on the primary and backup sites.
· To segregate details of voter list for the district DVLA.
· To publish the voter list in the ECN's website.
· To perform task of database backup.
· To perform task of query optimization in the data base in order to reduce the time taken for data processing.
· To perform the task of database normalization, whenever necessary.
· To perform the task of database cleanup by removing the tables which are duplicated or unnecessary/redundant.
· Upgrade the existing database of oracle 10g to latest possible version of oracle database.
· To perform the task of migrating the existing database from Windows Server to a Linux based server.
· To support the establishment and configuration of the Disaster Recovery (DR) site.
· To support capacity building for basic data guard, crystal report and other technical knowledge required for the integration and segregation of details of voter list.
· To fully document and handover any SQL and other scripts used in the above-mentioned applications to the technical staff of the Commission.
Skills and Requirements:
· Master's degree in Computer Engineering /Computer Science/Information Technology/ software Engineering or other IT-related field;
· Minimum of 10 years of experience working in IT or computer science;
· Experience in database management and data analysis including exposure with information security and cryptographic mechanisms;
· Experience working on voter registration and/or election-related projects preferred;
· Oracle Certified Professional is preferred
· Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment;
· Ability to mentor and develop staff;
· Attention to detail and well organized;
· Good communication skills in Nepali and English;
· Sound skill on Technical Documentation and
· Ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders; experience working and supporting with government institutions preferred.
The position is open to Nepali nationals only. Qualified and interested candidates are requested to send their application and an updated CV with name of two references and contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org with clearly mentioning the position applied for in the Subject. The application submission deadline is 4:00 PM, January 21, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates
will be contacted for interviews. Undue influence at any stage of the processes
will lead to automatic disqualification. Women, people with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantaged communities
are highly encouraged to apply.