Data & GIS Manager
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Data & GIS Manager
USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Scope of Work
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments. More information about DAI can be found on the DAI website (www.dai.com).
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Management Project will strengthen the capacity of Nepal’s national and municipal institutions responsible for disaster preparedness and response. In a country prone to a myriad of natural disasters, at the national level Tayar Nepal will build the capacity of disaster risk management (DRM) institutions, including the newly created National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Agency (NDRRMA). Locally, Tayar will support eight urban municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans and then support the prioritization and implementation of a set of technical assistance packages improve disaster resilience. In the event of a disaster over the life of the five-year project, USAID/Nepal may engage the program’s rapid emergency response mechanism. Tayar will work closely with the Government of Nepal and Nepali emergency responders to mobilize technical assistance, commodity support, small-scale infrastructure, and information management support. Tayar will apply lessons learned from disaster response efforts to improve national-level DRM systems and municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
- Identify sources of relevant data, and oversee the creation of a central data management system in Tayar accessible to relevant project stakeholders
- Coordinate the RSLUP process with the data platform upgrades so that data and maps developed at the municipal level can be uploaded to a cloud-based system that serves as a long-term repository accessible to other municipalities.
- Ensure oversight and regular maintenance to databases and assist communications to report quantitative results on program status and impact.
- Support data collection, data quality control, tools for analysis, etc. Contribute to on-going design of tools/methods that will support stakeholder and community participation and development planning.
- Design and prepare spatial and temporal data/GIS maps and related presentations of spatial data for Tayar Nepal’s targeted municipalities where various project activates will be implemented.
- Update and maintain the GIS database and maps in close consultation with the relevant national and international institutions.
- Work closely with technical team to build relationships and provide training to national and local government and civil society stakeholders on integrating using GIS to facilitate data analysis and visualization.
- University degree in relevant field required. Masters preferred.
- Geospatial analysis experience with demonstrated experience using geospatial software including ESRI ArcGIS, QGIS, Google Earth Pro, and others as applicable. Portfolio of GIS products produced required.
- 10 years of relevant experience, including at least 5 years of work experience in survey methodology, data collection and analysis using advanced software
- Expertise in conducting research to locate, obtain and organize data sets.
- Experience working with stakeholders to build capacity in data analysis and visualization.
- Experience setting up web-enabled ICT platforms.
Location and Reporting
The Data & GIS Manager reports to the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Team Director. The position is based in Kathmandu, with travel to priority Tayar municipalities.
Interested applicants should submit an updated CV to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by October 23, 2020.
Women and persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantaged communities are encouraged to apply.