Commodity Security Specialist
Detailed Job description / requirements:
SCOPE OF WORK
Chemonics International Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTION/SCOPE OF WORK
TITLE: Commodity Security Specialist
PROJECT: Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) Nepal
General Summary and Background
The purpose of the Global Health Supply Chain (GHSC) – Procurement and Supply Management (PSM) project is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of USG-funded public health initiatives around the world. The project provides direct procurement and supply chain management support to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and Population and Reproductive Health. In supporting USG-funded global health activities, GHSC-PSM will develop and manage a wide array of services for health commodity procurement and related systems strengthening technical assistance encompassing different elements of a comprehensive supply chain.
At the country level, GHSC-PSM supports country strategies and priorities that fall under the following three project objectives:
- Global Commodity Procurement and Logistics
- Systems Strengthening Technical Assistance
- Global Collaboration to Improve Long-Term Availability of Health Commodities
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
The CSS will primarily engage with the Management Division (MD) or the entity responsible for supply chain management and with the Ministry of Health and Population, relevant Government of Nepal (GoN) divisions and ministries in the provinces and external development partners (EDPs) to identify and keep the project and USAID informed about significant changes, progress and challenges related to the health commodity supply chain and related regulations, actors and projects. S/he will be responsible for the development of sound logistics practices in health commodity management. The CSS will identify and encourage adoption of leading best practices for commodity planning and build skills of relevant stakeholders within MOHP and provincial health directorateto develop, execute and monitor supply plans to ensure health commodities availability at all levels of supply chain to serve the community.This position requires an understanding of supply chain implementation, oversight, problem solving, data management, and coordination. The key responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Ensures the availability of commodities procured by GHSC-PSM to the client at the right time and provides oversight of the commodity stock status across the country. Works to raise the capacity of GoN partners in systematic commodity security management including pre-emptive problem identification and rectification to increase product availability nationally.
- Under the guidance of supervisor prepares technical content related to commodity security needs for inclusion in the annual work plan.
- Draft monthly and quarterly commodity security updates for inclusion in routine reports for project and stakeholders.
- Prepare content on commodity security matters for inclusion in ad hoc reports as required.
- Liaise with stakeholders at all levels as required by the work plan activities and ensure the concepts of commodity security are understood.
- Contribute to the development of communications materials to promote commodity security matters.
- Regularly update work plan tracker with progress on commodity security activities
- Maintain records of procurements made by GHSC-PSM including all shipping and proof of delivery documentation as required by GHSC-PSM GSC SOPs
- Maintain other records as required by project.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to maintain high standards of internal communications and professional working standards.
- Ensure the project is presented in a professional light in all interactions with external audiences and stakeholders.
- Prepare timely analytical reports on stock availability and other commodity security matters as required by the CMEL report. Contribute to the investigations and preparation of root cause analyses required to support M&E indicator reporting.
- Analyze stocks of commodities for supply planning and assist the DoHS management division to plan procurement and distribution of health commodities.
- In conjunction with the Quantification and FASP Specialist support development, analysis and updating of pipeline reports centrally and at Province level.
- Track the actions and activities of GoN partners following such reviews to ensure timely implementation of agreed plans and prevention of supply shortages.
- Assist in the development of processes and procedures for GoN partners to maintain commodity security through the supply chain.
- Carry out site visits and informal audits to ensure procedures are being followed throughout the health supply chain and all operating units have complete and accurate documents and records of commodity supplies.
- Arrange feedback sessions to GoN partners to present findings and recommend improvements.
- Manage the in-country processes related to procurement of commodities for Nepal and/or implementing partners in Nepal with GHSC-PSM Global Supply Chain and Operations staff managing ARTEMIS and other related computer systems.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Advanced degree in public health, supply chain or management preferred or equivalent
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in supply chain implementation, oversight and monitoring (preferably health commodities)
- Previous experience in public health commodity management is desirable
- Demonstrated ability to manage and implement public health programs
- Able to take direction and collaborate with other project teams and stakeholders
- A general understanding of the Nepal federal structure
- Proficient in writing skills, data analysis and presentation skills;excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English and Nepali languages and proven public relations skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- The CSS will report to directly the HSS Team Manager.
Working Conditions/Duration of Assignment
This is an annually contracted position based in Kathmandu, Nepal with an immediate start date.
Please send your CV and cover letter in electronic submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Community Security Specialist" by May 25, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.