Detailed Job description / requirements:
Terms of Reference
Gaunpalika Infrastructure Planning and Monitoring Engineers
GEOCE Consultants (P) Ltd is a multidisciplinary consulting company, specialized in various sectors and providing services since 1986. GEOCE is a consortium member of Post- Earthquake Recovery in Nepal Project (PURNIMA)managed by Mott MacDonald, UK.
PURNIMA is a five-year programme funded by Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)-UK aid which will run until September 2022. The objective is long-term positive change in the lives of people in earthquake-affected regions of Nepal. The programme is working in four of the worst-affected districts (Gorkha, Dhading, Nuwakot, and Rasuwa) and includes five Output Areas:
- Support and capacity building to Government agencies at federal, provincial and local level in reconstruction planning and implementation.
- Reconstruction of rural infrastructure, including water supply, foot trails, bridges, and schools.
- Interventions to address constraints to the private sector in relation to construction, including access to finance, innovation and skills.
- A Challenge Fund to ‘leave no-one behind’ in the reconstruction effort, and to restore and improve livelihoods, food security and access to services (including housing grants and related support services) for the most vulnerable.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
The key role of the Infrastructure Engineer is to build the capacity of the assigned Gaunpalika/Nagarpalika (GP/NP) for planning, delivery and management of infrastructure, and especially the long-term system strengthening and ensuring sustainability of infrastructure. The incumbent is primarily to contribute to Output Area 1, whilst making asignificant contribution to Output Area 2 to ensure palika ownership and commitment to management of infrastructure built by Purnina. S/he should also align his/her actions for linking construction private sector component and ‘leave no one behind initiatives for vulnerable people. The engineer will be stationed in the assigned GP/NP. S/he will work closely with the Purnima planning & governance advisors and GP/NP staff and will report to Senior Infrastructure Engineer for technical matters, and to District Coordinator for administrative matters.
Specific job descriptions will be as follows:
Supporting in planning and standardization
- Support the Gaunpalika/Nagarpalika in rigorous and robust planning and budgeting of infrastructure projects.
- Facilitate in developing infrastructure related sectoral master plans, Detailed Project Report (DPR)preparation, feasibility studies in collaboration with relevant stakeholders
- Support in developing various infrastructure related guidelines, manuals and procedures for endorsement from the GP executives.
- Facilitate and ensure building codes are developed and applied.
- Ensure local governments set aside matching funds for Purnima activities
Support in Implementation
- Support Gaunpalika’ selected officials and staff in infrastructure related issues, for setting criteria and selecting and prioritizing sub-projects based on the agreed criteria.
- Identify needs and facilitate technical training to the Gaunpalika technical team to increase efficiency of the Gaunpalikas
- Support Purnima programmes for improving data management and visualization, including GIS and palika websites
- Ensure GIS is used for vulnerability mapping and planning processes
- Support to strengthen ongoing GIS, e-procurement systems
- Contribute to strengthen policy and practices for construction private sectors
- Contribute to economic inclusion initiatives under ‘leave no one behind’ component, specially through interventions related to infrastructures
- Facilitate in identifying and mapping industrial zones in respective GPs
Supervision and Monitoring
- Participate in field activities for selection, quality assurance, monitoring of activities of Purnima’s directly implemented infrastructure and also Gaunpalika/Nagarpalika regular infrastructure projects
- Establish a system of regular monitoring of various infrastructure sub-projects whether funded by GP, Purnima or other partners including NRA and develop mechanism for feedback.
- Participate in supervision of Purnima infrastructure
- Long term sustainability strengthening
- Organize meetings /workshops for the GP/NP and other stakeholders to develop long term arrangements for sustainability of infrastructure specially developing capacity of the local government
- Support to develop, disseminate and implement sustainability guidelines, policies, directives.
- Play proactive role for organizing regular meeting of stakeholders on progress update and planning of various development agencies in the GPs in coordination with GP officials and Planning advisors
- Ensure coordination of Purnima activities across all output
- Foster integrated approaches between various activities in economic development, vulnerable communities and infrastructure
- Promote links between the various Purnima outputs in an integrated manner to support coherent decision-making.
Learning, documentation and reporting
- Collaborate with Purnima palika-level advisors, and ensure effective knowledge-sharing and lesson-learning (between and within palikas)
- Maintain up-to-date information of various infrastructural development in the Gaunpalika
- Introduce innovative actions and capture real time learning from success and failures
- Ensure the timely submission of financial and operational reports
- Participate in program review meetings;
- Perform other duties as required by the programme
- At least Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering;
- At least 4 years' experience in rural infrastructure in Nepal, including survey, design, estimate, construction supervision, preparation of bill of quantities, tender documents, technical training, users committee formation and training to them;
- Experience in implementation and management of small-scale rural infrastructure, preferably on a donor-funded projects(DFID experience an advantage);
- Knowledge of GIS, Autocad and other standard engineering software an advantage;
- Experience in infrastructure system strengthening and long-term sustainability
- Good experience with private sector, and economic inclusion initiatives
- Goodexperienceworkingwithminorityordisadvantagedgroupsin the hills, and a strong sensitivity to the challenges of social inclusion;
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges of post-earthquake reconstruction and recovery;
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills, but also a team player with the willingness to learn and support the learning of others;
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with local Government;
- Abilitytoworkeffectivelyinremoteareas, and willing to travel extensively through out the project area, including on foot as well as by jeep and motorbike;
- Fluency in written and spoken Nepali and English is essential, and fluency in relevant local languages spoken in the project area would be a strong asset;
- Preference will given to the candidates from the Purnima districts;
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates can submit their CV/RESUME at firstname.lastname@example.org