Civil Engineer - Field Monitoring & Site Supervision
Founded in 2004, Build Change is an innovative international non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. We do that by designing disaster-resistant houses and schools; training homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them; working with governments to develop and implement building standards; partnering with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs; and facilitating access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change is the recipient of multiple awards, including a 2017 Skoll Foundation Award for Social Entrepreneurship, OpenIDEO Urban Resilience Challenge Winner, and was a top three finalist in IBM’s inaugural Call for Code Developer Challenge in 2018. To learn more about us and our programs in Colombia, Nepal, the Philippines and the Caribbean, visit www.buildchange.org.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
For the position of Civil Engineer, Build Change is seeking a competent engineer for its projects in Nepal. This position reports to the Project Manager.
- Conduct field monitoring of houses undergoing retrofitting.
- Use mobile construction monitoring checklists and collect corroborative pictures through each phase of house construction.
- Help compile weekly construction monitoring reports.
- Liaising and coordinating with local government bodies on technical issues.
- Provide engineering advise and safe construction and advise to local homeowners, builders and partner organizations’ staffs.
- Assist in trainings for engineers, architects, drafters and other technical staff including development of training materials and presentations.
- Assist in solving problems and generating solutions in the field for special cases.
- Assist in controlling quality of information and implementation for projects in Nepal.
- Communicate and report to the management about the progress/issues of projects implemented by Build Change.
- Prepare field reports and assist in other reporting as requested.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with minimum 1 year professional experience in earthquake resistant design and construction of buildings.
- Work experience private sector engineering firms an advantage. Self-employed / entrepreneurial spirit a plus.
- Work experience based in remote field locations a plus. Work experience with owner-driven or community driven construction a plus.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and/or other Autodesk engineering software is a must.
- Knowledge of structural analysis and design software will be an advantage.
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
- Fluent English and Nepali.
To Apply please go to below link and follow instruction
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed daily and suitable candidates may be invited for test and interview prior to the closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for test and interview.