Detailed Job description / requirements:
Position Title: Civil Engineer
Location / department: Kathmandu, Nepal with frequent travel to field construction sites (Kabhrepalanchowk, Sindupalchowk, Kathmandu Districts)
Length of contract: One year with three months’ probation period
Responsible to: Programme manager
Overall responsibility: He/She is the Mission’s expert on civil engineering matters and developmental impact of civil engineering components contained in We World Onlus - Nepal activities and programs. The Civil Engineer advises Mission staff on environmental implications of civil engineering projects mainly directly funded by We World Onlus. The Civil Engineer is the primary engineer dealing with the implementation of construction program within the Nepal Earthquake reconstruction portfolio.
The Civil Engineer will be in contact with implementing agencies and other organization (NGOs, INGOs, line agencies, government bodies, UN agencies, etc.) for all relevant civil construction engineering matters for We World Onlus, work closely with local and national level authorities to ensure that We World Onlus’ programs conform to governmental strategies and the Nepalese law.
This is a position of high responsibility in a dynamic team. We World Onlus was working in Nepal, involved in long-term development programs, before the earthquake of 25th April 2015 but then has expanded its activities including some emergency support to schools, children and women.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise and finalize structural design/ sketch (1-2-4-8 roomed school building, permanent school toilet) prepared by Nepalese Government.
- Prepare and submit Bill of Quantities (BoQs) and budget estimation on construction/ renovation of school premises and facilities and of school Wash intervention as well, as per governmental guidelines when required.
- Identify and implement retrofitting solutions to partially damaged school buildings when required
- Investigate damage, accidents, delay at construction sites to ensure that proper procedures are being carried out.
- Oversight the construction activities and schedules on the building contractor onsite as per the schedule.
- Report on monthly bases the percentage of completion of works and the progress made by the constuctors.
- Take actions to deal with the results of delay on construction sites.
- Analyse risk associated with natural disaster including wind, earthquake, fire and floods, while design structures.
- Develop and implement quality control tools.
- Monitor construction quality across construction sites based on National and International seismic resistant standards.
- Interact with communities and educate them on construction quality standards, measures and practices.
- Monitor construction progress to ensure that procedures, materials and equipment comply with approved project plans, specifications and samples as per agreed standards and quality.
- Coordinate the construction activities with local partners’ engineers.
- Provide feedback to supervisors and team and discuss regularly with them in order to resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, construction problems.
- Ready to perform duties as instructed by the supervisors in case of necessity.
- The candidate will demonstrate attention to detail, be completely trustworthy, act in an appropriate professional manner at all times and ability to work independently when required.
- The candidate will demonstrate capacity to work under stressful conditions respecting deadlines.
- At least for the first period of assignment the candidate should be laptop equipped.
- Availability to start the job on September 1st 2016.
The candidate should have Masters' or bachelors’ degree in Civil Engineering from the recognized University.
- At least four years of experience for Master’s degree holder and three years for Bachelor’s degree holder, in design and estimate, construction, construction management, especially in rural settings.
- Knowledge of implementing and monitoring construction and reconstruction projects.
- Ability to develop implementing and monitoring tools for civil construction and to report the construction progress in a clear and timely manner.
- Knowledge of relevant earthquake and disaster resistant structures, building code of conduct of Government of Nepal.
- Knowledge of engineering principles, seismic hazards, river and water basins and flooding, rainfall, seasonal weather and atmospheric variations, etc .
- Previous experience in early recovery and disaster management will be an added advantage.
Necessary skills competencies
- Strong computer skills (Windows package and AutoCad).
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong staff coordination skills and a team player with ability to coach, delegate, follow-up and supervise as well as support.
- Ability to engage effectively and proactively with staff, communities and authorities.
- Capacity to work in remote with colleagues from We World Onlus and from its local partners.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Holder of motorbike’s driving licence and able to drive it even off road.
APPLICATION AND INTERVIEW PROCESS:
Qualified and interested individuals should send a CV with two work related references and covering letter explaining their interest for the post to: firstname.lastname@example.org until 29th July 2016.