Call for Applications
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - a related organization of the United Nations - is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration. It works to meet the growing operational challenges of migration, advance understanding of migration issues, encourage social and economic development through migration and uphold the well-being and human rights of migrants.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Call for Applications
International Organization for Migration (IOM) is looking for suitable candidate for the position of Consultant - Policy Officer for technical assistance on Disaster Risk Reduction and Management to officials of the Provincial and the local Governments of seven Provinces as part of “Promoting Action for Disaster Risk Governance and Working to Achieve Preparedness for Risk Reduction through Technical Assistance in Nepal (PARIWARTAN)” Project according to the Terms of Reference below. Interested applicants are invited to apply by 25.04.2021 at the latest, referring to the Call for Applications reference code.
Reference Code: CFA-01/2021
Position Title: Consultant -Policy Officer
Duty Station: Office based, Kathmandu with field travel to Provinces
Type of Appointment: Consultant Contract, 6 months
Estimated Starting Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 25 April 2021
IOM – The UN Migration Agency has been providing technical support to the Government of Nepal in taking forward the Government’s priority areas by contributing to the indicators of Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) National Strategic Action Plan. IOM will continue its efforts to support all three tiers of the Government in achieving its 12 years national strategies on DRRM in line also with the Sustainable Development Goals, 2030 agenda.
IOM aims to assist the Government of Nepal to enhance the disaster risk management governance at Federal, Provincial and Local levels. In order to achieve this, IOM, under the leadership of NDRRMA, will support in strengthening the policy frameworks at provincial (Provincial Assembly and MoIAL) and local levels (Rural and Urban Municipalities) taking into account the roles and responsibilities of the federal, provincial as well as local governments for effective and efficient disaster prevention, preparedness, response, and recovery.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- The Consultant will consolidate comments/feedbacks from Provincial and Local Governments and other experts/stakeholders and provide technical inputs and support in strengthening and policy frameworks on DRRM.
- The Consultant will work in close coordination with the Provincial Governments of all seven provinces and also with the local governments to provide key technical inputs and contribute towards the strengthening of DRRM frameworks.
- In close coordination and overall guidance from NDRRMA and MoIAL, support in the formation of an inter-ministerial technical working group at the Provincial level together with project team.
- In close coordination and guidance from MoIAL, support and provide technical inputs in reviewing and drafting DRRM legislative and policy documents, strategies and guidelines at the Local and Provincial level and contribute to the formation of Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority at all seven provinces of Nepal.
- Facilitate consultations for drafting/revising of PDRRM Act, bylaws, Strategic action plan and guidelines.
- Facilitate meetings and consultations with Provincial Inter-ministerial technical working group and solicit recommendations and feedback.
- Establish and maintain close and positive links with the relevant provincial and local stakeholders, such as provincial and local authorities, non-governmental organizations, private sector actors and the media.
- Support the project team in drafting, editing, and translating documents into Nepali such as formal communication and exchanges with Ministries and other related entities while implementing project activities. .
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Migration Management Studies, Law, Disasters Management, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Economics, International Relations, Management, or other related fields; Or
- Bachelor’s degree in above field with at least 7 years of relevant professional work experience.
- Well versed in reviewing policy papers, experience of drafting policy briefs and knowledge of national and international policy frameworks on DRM governance would be an added advantage;
- Working experience in project development, project planning, research, networking and project implementation will be an advantage;
- Previous working experience in an international organization and on disaster risk reduction and management is an advantage;
Fluency in English and Nepali is required. Proficiency in other languages is an advantage.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, CFA reference number with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25 April 2021. Only short-listed candidates will be called for interview.