We work with local communities to create brighter futures through better education. We have been informally active in supporting education in lower Solukhumbu for several years but recently, to pursue our work more formally, we founded Stay at School Nepal (SSN), a registered NGO under the auspices of the DAO, SWC and other regulating bodies. Working initially in Dudhkunda Municipality and Likhu Pikey Rural Municipality, we are developing inspiring boarding houses for senior students so that they can devote their full energies to their studies at a crucial time in their academic careers. By helping schools and local communities to build and operate successful residential facilities at schools, Stay at School Nepal (SSN) will support education in rural Nepal. In addition, and with a holistic approach to educational attainment leading to work and other opportunities in the modern Nepal economy, Stay at School Nepal (SSN) provides support through scholarships and career guidance to senior students and works with schools and teachers to improve the overall quality of Nepali education. Stay at School Nepal (SSN) is just starting out on the challenging path to making a difference to Nepali society through better education and we look forward to working with the Government, INGOs, NGOs and Civil Society Organisations to achieve our collective goals.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Position: Admin / Finance / Programme Officer
Organisation: Stay At School Nepal (www.stayatschool.org)
Our mission is to create brighter futures through better education for children in remote mountain communities in Eastern Nepal. Stay At School Nepal (SSN), established in 2017, is an NGO with education at its core. We help to build and operate boarding houses at mountain schools, creating educational hubs for communities. With our help, children stay at school longer, improving their chances of a happy, fulfilled and prosperous life. SSN currently supports boarding house projects at Junbesi Secondary School (Junbesi, Solududhkunda Municipality-2) and Chandrajyoti Secondary School in Bhakanje (Likhu Pikey Rural Municipality-5). We have further boarding house projects in the pipeline which will include the construction of buildings as well as a multi-faceted programme of ideas and activities designed to broaden and enrich the lives of students.
Location: 75% in Kathmandu and 25% in Solukhumbu
We are seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Admin / Finance / Programme Officer. Responsibilities will include general and financial administration and management of SSN programmes. As part of the admin and financial duties, the position holder will be responsible for day-to-day accounting transactions including bookkeeping, banking, maintenance of the filing system and cash accounts. Programme duties will include the planning and implementation of the SSN programmes in coordination with the SSN team, partner schools and regulating bodies. You should be a motivated, hard-working and enthusiastic professional with proven skills, experience and commitment to our core value of improving educational opportunities for the children at remote mountain schools.
· Assist in the procurement of goods and services in line with the procurement policy of SSN
· Provide support to acquire banking services (encashment and deposit of cheques and cash etc.)
· Review the advance settlement and payment documents to ensure compliance with SSN financial policies, rules and regulations
· Keep track of employee/consultant advances, ensuring that none of them are overdue Follow up with the staff concerned for the settlements and action.
· Ensure taxes are correctly levied in accordance with tax regulations
· Assist in auditing process
· Plan, organise and implement programmes and activities
· Plan, organise and implement career counselling and mentoring support to the students of partner schools
· Manage scholarship programme
· Coordinate with the Programme Officer to ensure compliance with SSN boarding house operating guidelines, systems and policies
· Coordinate with the Field Officer to plan and implement construction/repair/maintenance work
· Liaise with government agencies and other regulating bodies for reporting and other regular work
· Undertake any other duties as directed by the supervisor
Qualifications and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Management, Social Work, Development Studies or any relevant field from a reputable University
· Excellent spoken and written skills in English and Nepali
· Excellent communication skills
· Soft skills of research, facilitating community engagement and educational attainment
· Willingness to travel to remote mountain areas with basic facilities
· At least two years’ work experience in a similar field
· Commitment for at least one year
Salary and benefits: Attractive package of salary and benefits based on experience and qualifications.
Send an updated CV and cover letter with at least two references to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 PM, 31 December, 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for interview. Female candidates and those from marginalised communities are encouraged to apply.