Senior Project Coordinator : Detail
- Company: Economic Policy Incubator
- Industry: Other
- Address: Metro Park Building, Lazimpat
- Administrative / Management
- Full Time
- 8+ years
- Post Graduate / Masters in related field.
Detailed Job Description / Requirements
The Economic Policy Incubator (EPI), launched in February 2016 with DFID support, aims to strengthen Nepal’s economic policies and policy processes through flexible approaches, instruments and entry points. EPI focuses on effective implementation of public policies, esp. in economic growth and development. This requires addressing top cross-sectoral constraints to growth. Towards this end, EPI plans to build strong partnerships with local stakeholders, including government agencies, civil society, and the private sector. There are several ongoing efforts in this area (undertaken by GON agencies and development partners). EPI intends to build on and, contribute to, these reform efforts. EPI is one of the three components of the DFID-supported ‘Accelerating Investment and Infrastructure in Nepal’ (AiiN). The other components focus on infrastructure investment and financial sector stability.
The EPI is working in the Pokhara – Sunauli economic corridor, supporting municipalities and other stakeholders to contribute to local economic development through
- Physical ‘quick win’ projects and developing transferrable PPP models for the funding, design and management of key local development interventions
- Support for the development and implementation of localregulations
- Scoping the potential for other areas of support including on tourism and cross-corridor collaboration
Senior Project Coordinator will provide direct support to selected municipalities in the Pokhara-Sunauli corridor on a key function for urban development which has been recognised as a major gap in current capabilities – on planning and coordination, relating to the provision and implementation of infrastructure for municipal/urban services (water supply and distribution, sanitation, solid waste management, power supply and distribution, road infrastructure).
Senior Project Coordinator will explore anddevelop the potential plans for strengthening key function of municipalities in the current profound institutional changes going on in local government and provide recommendations on how to strengthen this key function.
The Senior Project Coordinator will be responsible for the following key tasks but not limited to
- Providing technical advice and or/ direct support to PokharaLeknath Metropolitan city, and to Butwal, Siddharthanagar and Tilottama municipalities, in the area of urban planning and development and in any other areas of institutional strengthening as identified by the mayors
- Providing technical support and oversight to implement joint projects identified for collaboration between EPI and the above mentioned four municipalities.
- Supporting better coordination of functions between the municipalities and relevant local and national government agencies in funding and implementing the infrastructure development and other development projects at local level.
- Explore and recommend how to establish a City Planning and Development Office, or how to improve this function in the future
This is a full time position with initial contract for one year. The Senior Project Coordinator will require to deliver the following in the first six months.
- A mapping of the current developments, and the status of ongoing projects and future short-term plans in each of the key sectors
- A list of priority projects and areas for support, directed by the respective mayors and executive officers
- Where appropriate, designing and supporting the municipality to commission relevant feasibility studies around key priority projects, and conducting dialogue with key funding agencies to establish the appetite for funding
- Provide monthly reports on the progress and completion of selected priority projects
- A mapping of the current staffing, practices, processes and resourcing for planning and coordination in the selected municipalities
- A proposal for improving planning and coordination, developed in consultation with key municipal staff, including the structure, staffing requirements signed off by at least one of the respective municipalities. Provide necessary technical support to ensure successful implementation of ‘quick win’ projects selected in each municipality
Work Location: Primarily based on Pokhara with initial induction of about 2-3 months in Kathmandu EPI Office. However the position will require frequent travel to the entire Corridor and to Kathmandu.
Reports to: Deputy Team Leader, however s/he will also be required to work closely with all programme team members, particularly work with Project Coordinators based in Pokhara and Bhairahawa.
Qualifications and experience:
- A master degree in urban planning and development, public administration or any relevant field
- At least 8 years of experience working in urban development, local governance or local economic development
Interested Candidates must send their updated CV at firstname.lastname@example.org with cover letter until 15th December 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted