Environmental Health - Project Manager : Detail
- Company: MDM France
- Industry: Non-Profit
- Address: Kupandole Height Lalitpur
- Full Time
- Please check vacancy details.
- Please check vacancy details
Detailed Job Description / Requirements
JOB DESCRIPTION: ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
I - Mission context
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons; promoting sexual and reproductive health; combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use; crises and conflicts; and environmental health.
Medecins du Monde has worked in Nepal since 1995, initially focusing on TB and HIV control activities in the west of the country. Since 2007 our focus has been in Sindhupalchok District where we have implemented a 9-year project working with women cooperatives to promote sexual and reproductive health along with support to livelihoods through microfinance activities. Following the 2015 earthquakes we scaled up to provide an emergency response – running mobile medical clinics, rebuilding health facilities, supporting the District Health Authorities, and revitalizing the women cooperatives. Currently MdM is implementing a post-earthquake recovery project that will continue through to mid-2018.
MdM is developing a new project focusing on environmental health, hence this exciting opportunity for an experienced Project manager to join the team. Following an assessment in 2016, we are in the process of finalizing the design of a multi-year project working in the Kathmandu Valley that will improve the health situation of informal waste workers. The project will work closely with the Ministry of Health, local authorities, Informal waste worker communities and a local NGO partner. Initially there will be a strong research component to the project. We anticipate that the ideal candidate will have strong experience in the environmental health field in Nepal, preferably with demonstrable research skills, along with proven project management capability.
Hierarchical positioning: Reporting to Program Coordinator
II - MAIN RESPONSABILITIES
- Project Operation
- Coordination with government authorities, local partners and stakeholders
- Partnership Management
- Support and others
III -RESPONSIBILITY IN DETAIL
- Take the leading role of project operation of the Environmental Health Project under direct supervision of Program Coordinator and in close coordination with Medical Coordinator.
- Ensure effective and efficient project implementation, coordination and delivery, synergizing the activities, technicalities, staffs, admin, government authorities, partner and network.
- Prepare annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly plans for effective execution of the project activities along with budgetary forecast.Ensureprogram-planning, implementation, and follow up are made in timely manner.
- Coordinate the implementation of the project activities together with the local partner.
- Support to maintain the M&E system in place for effective monitoring the progresses, results, outcomes and impact of the projects and program activities.
- Contribute on the program research and contribute to analyses and reports. Participate, analyze and write the field assessments, surveys, and evaluations in field level.
- Ensure the mechanism for field data collection, analysis and documentation and supervise for program communication, documentation and reporting.
- Write and communicate detailed periodic project reports and field updates.
- Responsible for effective and efficient resource mobilization, financial planning and adhere with budgetary controls.
- Coordinate with logistic department for logistic arrangement and fleet management. Coordinate with Admin department for financial arrangement, administrative operation and internal control.
- Coordinate with Medical Coordinator with technical support.
Coordination with government authorities, local partners and stakeholders
- Responsible for coordination with government authorities, local partners, stakeholders, under the direction of the Programme Coordinator. Responsible for organizing monitoring and evaluations conducted by funding agencies, government authorities and MdM headquarters.
- Represent MdM in the national and international forums and government authorities, and participate in such forums, meetings, trainings, conference and workshops. Liaise with similar projects and look for cooperation and exchange of information with INGOs/NGOs.
- Responsible for conduction of District Project Advisory Committee meetings and joint monitoring or evaluation programs from government authorities. Contribute on Central Project Advisory Committee and other activities.
- Observe the political situation and security context in project sites & nationwide and update to General Coordinator.
- Ensure effective and smooth partnership relationship with local partners and effective operation of MdM project in the field.
- Support the local partners in planning, organizing, implementation of the project.
- Identify needs for technical assistance to local partners and develop plan and program for capacity building of local partner as well as project administration.
- Capacitate the local partner for their exposure towards local and national coordination in relevant forums and institutions.
Support and others
- Support and coordination with Coordinators for smooth operation and synergy of mission office.
- Responsible to supervise environmental health team in Kathmandu or in field. Ensure that staff under his/her direction are adhering to the MdM policies and procedures. Ensure MdM values and work culture within the team. Responsible for team motivation, high morale and synergy.
- Abide by all the procedures and guidelines in the MdM and comply with all prevailing agreements, legislations and conventions.
- Help to build the smooth relation within the team of stakeholder and external parties.
- Communicate all the external communications in notification to your supervisor,
- Execute any other function required by Program Coordinator and General Coordinator.
IV- PROFILE SOUGHT:
Essential (will not be considered without meeting these requirements):
- Educational degree in public health and/or environmental health
- Master’s degree with 5 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with 8 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrable experience in Environmental Health projects in Nepal in INGOs
- Proven research experience, ideally with a record of publications
- Project Management qualifications, leadership and decision making skills, administrative and organizational skills
- Be comfortable living and working both in District andKathmandu (Rural and Urban)
- Fluent spoken Nepali and English, with the ability to write in English at a professional level
- GoodIT skills including Microsoft Office.
- Exposure on DRR and/or WaSH will be an asset
- Demonstrable ability to multi-task, be flexible and handle a high workload
Duration: 1 year, possibility of extension
Duty Station: Kathmandu (with frequent field movement)
Anticipated start date: April 2017
Closing date for applications: 28th February 2017
HOW TO APPLY: send an updated CV in English with 3 references and Cover Letter to email@example.com