Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
JOB DESCRIPTION: URBAN HEALTH, RESEARCH AND ADVOCACY PROJECT MANAGER
I - Mission context
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons; promoting sexual and reproductive health; combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use; crises and conflicts; and environmental health.
Medecins du Monde has worked in Nepal since 1995, initially focusing on TB and HIV control activities in the west of the country. Since 2007 our focus has been in Sindhupalchok District where we have implemented a 9-year project working with women cooperatives to promote sexual and reproductive health along with support to livelihoods through microfinance activities. Following the 2015 earthquakes we scaled up to provide an emergency response – running mobile medical clinics, rebuilding health facilities, supporting the District Health Authorities, and revitalizing the women cooperatives. Currently MdM is implementing a post-earthquake recovery project that will continue through to mid-2018.
MdM is developing a new project focusing on environmental health, hence this exciting opportunity for an experienced Project Manager to join the team. Following an assessment in 2016, we are in the process of finalizing the design and implementation modality of a multi-year project working in the Kathmandu Valley that will improve the health situation of informal waste workers. The project will work closely with the Ministry of Health, local authorities, informal waste worker communities and our local NGO partner. Initially there will be a strong research component to the projectfocusing on determining the occupational and environmental risks to which informal waste workers are exposed. Using the evidence that we will gather in order to promote social change is one of the ultimate goals of this project. We anticipate that the ideal candidate will have strong experience in the urban and environmental health field in Nepal, preferably with demonstrable research skills, along with proven project management capability.
Hierarchical positioning: Reporting to Program Coordinator
II - Main responsabilites
- Project Operation
- Coordination with government authorities, local partners and stakeholders
- Partnership Management
- Support and others
III –Responsabilitésin detail
- Take the leading role within MdM of project operation of the Environmental Health Project under direct supervision of Program Coordinator and in close coordination with Medical Coordinator.
- Ensure effective and efficient project implementation, coordination and delivery, synergizing the activities, technicalities, staffs, admin, government authorities, projectpartners and network.
- Prepareplans for effective execution of the project activities along with budgetary forecast.Ensureprogram-planning, implementation, and follow up are made in timely manner.
- Coordinate the implementation of the project activities together with the projectpartners.
- Support to maintain the M&E system in place for effective monitoring the progresses, results, outcomes and impact of the projects and program activities.
- Lead within MdM to the researchactivities and contribute to field testing, analyses and research reports in collaboration with local and international partners.
- Ensure the mechanism for field data collection, analysis and documentation.
- Contribute to publish research paper or article.
- Advocate for health and social issues of informal waste worker communities.
- Advocate for urban and environment health issues.
- Write and communicate detailed periodic project reports and field updates.
- Responsible for effective and efficient resource mobilization, financial planning and adherence with budgetary controls.
- Coordinate with logistic department for logistic arrangement and fleet management. Coordinate with Admin department for financial arrangement, administrative operation and internal control.
Coordination with government authorities, local partners and stakeholders
- Responsible within MdM for coordination with government authorities, project partners, stakeholders, under the direction of the Programme Coordinator.
- Responsible for organizing monitoring and evaluations conducted by funding agencies, government authorities and MdM headquarters.
- Represent MdM in the national and international forums and government authorities, and participate in such forums, meetings, trainings, conference and workshops. Liaise with similar projects and look for cooperation and exchange of information with INGOs/NGOs.
- Responsible for conduction of District Project Advisory Committee meetings and joint monitoring or evaluation programs from government authorities. Contribute on Central Project Advisory Committee and other activities.
- Observe the political situation and security context in project sites & nationwide and update to General Coordinator.
- Ensure effective and smooth partnership relationship with project partners
- Support the project partners in planning, organizing, and implementation of the project.
- Identify needs for technical assistance to project partners.
- Take leadership within the MdM team on research activities and project implementation conducted by local partner.
- Ensure the objective and efficiency of the activities of local partner.
Support and others
- Support and coordination with Coordinators for smooth operation and synergy of mission office.
- Responsible to supervise MdM environmental health team. Ensure that staff under his/her direction are adhering to the MdM policies and procedures. Ensure MdM values and work culture within the team. Responsible for team motivation, high morale and synergy.
- Abide by all the procedures and guidelines in the MdM and comply with all prevailing agreements, legislations and conventions.
- Help to build the smooth relation within the team of stakeholder and external parties.
- Communicate all the external communications in notification to your supervisor,
- Execute any other function required by Program Coordinator and General Coordinator.
IV- Profile sought:
ESSENTIAL:(will be considered as minimum requirements or qualifications)
- Academic degree in public health and/or environmental health
- Master’s degree with at least 3 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrable experience in Urban Health or Environmental Health projects in Nepal
- Proven experienceofresearch work, ideally with a record of publications
- Project Management qualifications, leadership and decision making skills, administrative and organizational skills
- Fluent spoken Nepali and English, with the ability to write in English at a professional level
- GoodIT skills including Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrable ability to multi-task, be flexible and handle a high workload
- Exposure on DRR and/or WaSH will be an asset
- Advocacy experience
Duration: 1 year, possibility of extension
Duty Station: Kathmandu
Anticipated start date: May 2017
Closing date for applications: 26th March 2017
HOW TO APPLY: send an updated CV in English with contact details of 3 referees, and Cover Letter to [email protected]
Previous applicants to the position of “Environmental Health Project Manager” need not apply for this position.
|Please check vacancy details.|
|Please check vacancy details|
|17 Mar, 17|
|26 Mar, 17|