Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The CIMMYT is seeking an experienced professional to support Nepal Seed and Fertilizer (NSAF) project funded by USAID. The project aim is to increase food productivity of cereal based cropping systems including high value crops via formulating site-specific fertilizer recommendations, efficient fertilizer application technology identification and applied and enhancing capacity of stakeholders in seed and fertilizer value chains. Details of position, location and TOR for the position is below and can be found at www.jobsnepal.com.
Position title: Research Associate
Reference No: N18111
Report to: Unit Leader
Duty station: Kathmandu
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, propose and implement research techniques and procedures for the cultivation and improvement of the materials assigned to the Unit.
- Collaborate in the design, the research and the implementation of techniques for field measurements with high-tech equipment.
- Collaborate in the supervision of the work assigned to support staff working in the unit, to ensure the techniques are performed or the crops are developed in compliance with established quality standards.
- Collaborate in the field/laboratory activities as assigned and report abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned.
- Carry out special investigations as assigned by your manager.
- Make periodic reports and tables that allow the program scientists to track their projects. Assist in writing articles that are published by the Unit.
- Under supervision of biometricians or project supervisor, perform statistical analysis of the information collected in each of the stages of the crop cycle, through the development of a database, in order to present reports on the results achieved by the project.
- Participate in the publication of research results through annual reports, presentations and publications.
- Participate in special projects with other research institutions and international organizations.
- Contribute to the training and updating of knowledge and research techniques, to the rest of the staff working in the unit, and keep updated on new research techniques or processes.
- Visit and supervise other CIMMYT field trials and/or research fields of collaborators.
- Take part in taking care of scientists and visitors to the Unit and prepare and conduct field trips with researchers and visiting scientists of the Centre.
- Conduct, if needed, field surveys and interviews with farmers, and analyze this information, for inclusion in CIMMYT publications.
- Review publications for their inclusion into the database and collect information on the agricultural sector, to prepare articles and economic reports.
- Keep a check on inventories of products and materials used and request a replacement when required.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Masters’ degree in biological sciences, chemistry or agronomy. Or, Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of experience and proven research-conducting skills.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant administrative and/or operating protocols and policies of the function.
- Specialized knowledge limited to small field of expertise.
- Basic managerial competence.
- 4 to 5 years. Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices and procedures within a discipline.
- Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices and procedures within a discipline.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SKILLS NEEDED:
- Proficiency to use standard software at an advanced level. Typically, this would include minor programming using macros, mail merge, designing customized reports, developing audio visual presentations, etc. with occasional assistance.
- May include some use of database or research applications.
- Advanced skills in Windows Operating System, LAN, and Internet.
- Complex use of Simple systems.
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter to Recruit-Nepal@cgiar.org no later than Friday, 23 March 2018.
Please include position and reference number in the subject of your email.
Incomplete applications (without CV and cover letter) will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
|Please check vacancy details.|
|Please check vacancy details|
|06 Mar, 18|
|23 Mar, 18|