Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, focused on increasing food security and reducing poverty at an international scale. For more information about CIMMYT, please visit our website www.cimmyt.org.
We are seeking for a dynamic, and self-motivated professional for the position of Research Associate/ Assistant in the Socioeconomics Program of CIMMYT in Nepal to work in the Nepal Seed and Fertilizer Project (NSAF). More information about this position, including additional qualifications and job descriptions, can be found at www.cimmyt.org/careers/
POSITION: Research Associate/Assistant
Reference No: N17113
Work Station: Kathmandu (but will require frequent travel within Nepal)
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Conduct literature reviews on issues related to agricultural input markets and distribution, agriculture input value chains particularly seed and fertilizer and other socio-economics around agriculture input markets.
- Collect and compile data from secondary sources.
- Make substantial contributions to the development of structured questionnaires and other socioeconomic research instruments.
- Make substantial contributions to the planning and conducting of household- and village-level surveys on issues related to seed and fertilizer component of the NSAF activities related to agricultural input market development, and related policies. This includes supervision of field investigators in remote rural areas.
- Assist ME&L activities of the project.
- Conduct case studies and focus group discussions using qualitative research methods.
- Data cleaning, descriptive and econometric data analysis, and report preparation.
- Make substantial contributions to academic publications and presentations.
- To work closely with farmers in Nepal especially in USAID’s FTF districts where NSAF project activities are ongoing.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualification, skills and attitudes:
- Minimum of Masters’ degree in Agricultural Economics (preferred), Economics, Development Economics, Agricultural Development, Rural Development or related field with interest and demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative research.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience. Familiarity and experience with household surveys. Knowledge of issues related to agricultural market and rural/ agricultural development policy.
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative and qualitative methods of data collection and strong analytical skills. Sound basis of statistics and econometrics knowledge is required. Good working knowledge of statistical and econometric software packages (esp. Stata), Microsoft office, and electronic communication tools.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including gender sensitivity and ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams, as well as to develop strong and effective working relationships with research partners.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, including ability to present coherent and convincing analyses to different audiences, knowledge of Nepali language is a necessity.
- Ability to travel and undertake fieldwork in rural contexts.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year (with a 6 month probation period). Further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance. Interested and qualified candidates are requested to express their interest with a copy of recent CV and a cover letter detailing the motivation for the position.
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter to CIMMYT-NRSrecruitsouthasia@cgiar.org no later than Wednesday 31 May, 2017.
Please include position and reference number in the subject of your email.
Incomplete applications (without CV and cover letter) will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork and respect for diversity.
Women are encouraged to apply.
|Full Time / Contract|
|Please check vacancy details|
|15 May, 17|
|31 May, 17|