Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
Call for Expression of Interest
Study on “Civil Society Organizations'Contribution in Development of Nepal”
South Asia Partnership - Nepal (SAP-Nepal) is a national NGO established in Nepal in 1985 for promotion of pro-people governance by strengthening civil society solidarity.It is essential to document and analyze previous contribution of CSOs to recommend way forward for ensuring its esteemed role in strengthening social and human development in sustained manner.
SAP Nepal, a grantee of USAID supported Civil Society: Mutual Accountability Project implemented by FHI 360, is conducting a study on Civil Society Organizations’ Contribution in Development of Nepal. In this context, SAP Nepal invites interested consultants to submit Expression of Interest (EoI) for conducting the study. The deadline for submission of the EoI is June 29, 2017.
A detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) will be made available upon request. It is also available in website of SAP-Nepal (www.sapnepal.org.np)
The EoI shall be submitted either in a sealed envelope or in electronic copy with the subject line mentioning “Consultancy for Study on Civil Society Organizations' Contribution in Development of Nepal” to the following address.
South Asia Partnership - Nepal
GPO Box.3827, Kathmandu, Nepal
Terms of Reference (ToR)
Study on Civil Society Organizations' Contribution in Development of Nepal
South Asia Partnership - Nepal (SAP-Nepal) is a national NGO established in Nepal in 1985 for the promotion of pro-people governance at the local and national levels by strengthening and creating solidarity in the civil society to advocate pro-people inclusive policies and practices for social justice and human rights. The organization has a vision of creating a Just Society with Peace and Prosperity. It envisages a society where people have wider participation in decision making so that they may control their own lives and the future of their communities. It also works for creation of a congenial environment for the promotion of human development by strengthening civil society organizations and encouraging disadvantaged groups to improve their living standards by reforming public policies, improving service delivery systems and increasing inclusionary practices.
Civil Society Organizations including NGOs have effectively made their presence as an alternative mechanism for development. Instead of dealing with a cumbersome bureaucratic machinery of the state and pecuniary motives of the private sector, even donors have found NGOs to be a convenient vehicle. In the case of Nepal, one can find a mushrooming growth of NGOs particularly after the reinstitution of multiparty democracy in 1990. There are 39,763 NGOs and 260 INGOs registered with the Social Welfare Council (Source: Social Welfare Council, 2016/17). Presently, all social organizations or NGOs in Nepal operate under one or more of the following Acts or their Regulations: i) Association Registration Act 2034 and Regulations ii) Social Welfare Act 2049 and Regulations iii) Company Act 2063 and Regulations iv) National Directive Act 2018
Nepal has promulgated the new constitution through the Constituent Assembly (CA) on September 20, 2015. The new constitution has guaranteed right to freedom of association as fundamental right which is the foundation or basis for formation and operation of different CSOs. It has also stated that NGOs and INGOs will be focused only in the areas of national needs and priority adopting a one-door policy for the establishment, endorsement, engagement, regulation and management of such organizations. It has also emphasized to make investment and role of such organizations accountable and transparent. It clearly indicates that there should be proper interpretation of these terminologies to ensure more liberating environment for Civil Society Organizations to play dynamic role in sustainable development of the country. In this context, it is essential to analyze previous contribution of CSOs to inform future way forward for its esteemed role in strengthening social and human development in sustained manner.
2. Purpose of the Assignment
CSOs are key contributors for strengthening democracy as they contribute in promoting people’s organized action in the public sphere to raise unheard voices of people. Thus, CSOs are considered as social space for promoting people participation in policy and development that is essential elements of democracy. These organizations also support in promoting governance as people engagement in promoting public services and accountability.
These organizations role in empowering marginalized communities should not be undermined. In Nepal, these organizations have played good role in movements related to empowerment of women, ex-kamaiyas, dalits, haliyas, indigenous groups. Thus, these organizations have supported in strengthening democratic local ownership thereby contributing in promoting human rights.
CSOs efforts in minimizing mal practices like chaupadi, child marriage, poly gamy cannot be ignored that has impacted transformational changes in lives of women and girls. Community forestry is one of the another examples that demonstrates power of people in conservation of natural resources. These efforts of CSOs in mobilization of people and communities in bringing positive changes in society should be well documented and analyzed.
CSOs has contributed in delivery of services and development programs. They have played varied roles depending on different services ranging from health, education, water and sanitation, rehabilitation to good governance and social accountability promotion with advocacy endeavors. These organizations have also played role in monitoring government services to increase their accountability towards concerns of marginalized sections of society. However, contributions of these organizations are not recognized due to inadequate analyses based on their performance.
In such a situation, there is a great need to bring-up CSOs contributions in different aspects of human development by generating evidences. Such evidences will be helpful to influence policy makers for creating enabling environment to foster a more legitimate, accountable, and resilience Nepal Civil Society that is capable of advancing the public interest.
In this context, SAP Nepal, a grantee of USAID supported Civil Society: Mutual Accountability Project implemented by FHI 360, aims to strengthen enabling environment for civil society. In order to document and analyze immense contributions of CSOs in promoting sustainable development of the country, the study on CSOs contribution in development has been envisioned.
The broad objective of the study is to analyze contribution of CSOs in sustainable development of Nepal for influencing favorable and enabling policy environment for CSOs.
Specific Objectives of the study are:
1. To document and analyze endeavors of CSOs in Nepal in the areas of social and human development
2. To provide recommendations for strengthening significant role of CSOs in promoting sustainable social and human development in the changing context
3. Scope of the Assignment
A study team member comprising of profound knowledge on "civil society and development" will dedicate maximum of 30 working days of time as consultancy for conducting the study. A preliminary meeting with SAP-Nepal team for developing further clarity on Terms of Reference and Scope of the assessment will be conducted.
The study will be done by reviewing secondary source of information with some consultations in Kathmandu. It is planned that at least 20 prominent persons of civil society organizations, government organizations, INGOs and planning commission will be selected randomly keeping in mind GESI for intensive interview and discussion.
The following methodology has been broadly suggested for finalisation with the study team:
- Literature review of existing information, policy documents, reference materials on contribution of CSOs in Nepal's development.
- Preparation of check-list and questionnaire for information collection.
- Focus Group Discussions (4) with subject experts for collecting key information focusing more on global and national scenario, policies and institutional practices.
- Interview with selected national experts to collect and validate information on ground realities.
- Preparation of 15-20 case studies.
- Information/data compilation, processing and analysis on study topic.
- Preparation of draft report and sharing with subject experts.
· Finalization of report incorporating feedbacks of experts.
Besides, the consultant is also responsible to:
· Organize all logistics required for the study.
· Submit financial report as per agreed upon format.
It is envisaged that the duration of the study will be for three months; however, this may be subject to change based on consultant’s suggestions.
4. Roles and Responsibilities
- SAP Nepal will select consultant based on the following criteria: qualification and work experience in relevant field, Understanding of TOR and Clarity on methodology. Proposal should be short and include evidences, facts and statements mentioned along the selection criteria.
- SAP Nepal, Executive Director and concerned team members will be pro-actively engaged in the study processes as and when necessary.
- SAP Nepal team members will provide the consultant with comments/suggestions to the draft report.
- SAP Nepal will bear additional costs required for organizing four Focused Group Discussions as part of the study apart from remuneration.
The consultants will cover the following areas and responsibilities for conducting the study:
- Timely submission of deliverables like Inception report preparation incorporating study framework with detailed methodology, operational plan including national consultation schedule, checklist, guidelines and questionnaires; Draft and Final Study Reports.
- The consultant should be presenting key features of inception report and study outcomes in appropriate time as per consultation with SAP-Nepal.
- The consultant will provide 2 hard copies and electronic versions of written deliverables.
5. Key Deliverables And Timeline
The Consultant will provide the following deliverables:
1. Inception report with study framework, methodology, operational plan including national consultation schedule, checklist, guidelines, questionnaires
1 week after start of consultancy.
2. National expert interview and initial focus group discussion (2)
Within 6 weeks after start of consultancy.
3. Draft study report based on agreed study framework
8 weeks after start of consultancy.
4. Focus group discussion on draft report (2)
10 weeks after start of consultancy.
5. Final study report
11 weeks after start of consultancy.
Timeframe of the Consultancy Team: 30 working days.
· Desktop Review (2 days)
· Coordination, planning and communication (2 days)
· National expert and stakeholder interview and focus group discussions (7 days)
· Draft Study Report (10 days)
· Final Report incorporating comments (9 days)
6. Reporting Line
The consultant will report to SAP-Nepal Executive Director
7. Required Qualifications
- Minimum of Master Degree with seven years of experience in relevant field
- Strong research background and case study analysis in social development, preferably with a focus on CSOs and development.
- Good inter-personal linkage with government stakeholders at various levels particularly CSOs and development sector.
- Proficiency in written and spoken Nepali and English.
8. Logistic support
The consultant will manage their own logistic support for the completion of this assignment.
9. Remuneration And Other Costs
· The consultant will be provided remuneration of NRs 3,00,000 (In words: Three Lakhs only). Tax will be deducted in the source as per the Government Tax policy.
· Apart from remuneration, SAP Nepal will bear cost of organizing four focused group discussions as per requirement of the study.
· Selected consultant will not receive any additional costs besides the above stated remuneration.
· Consultant will be self-responsible for any incident which has insurance impact during the consultancy period
10. Payment schedule
It is agreed by both parties that the payment will be made as per major work packages/deliverables and acceptable to SAP-Nepal as per the following schedule:
Inception report submission
Draft Report Submission
Final Study Report Submission
Annex 1 : Preliminary outline of Study on CSOs Contribution in Development of Nepal
The study report will be presented in the following framework. There can be some changes upon consultation with the consultant.
Section 1: Background information
- Civil Society Organizations – definition and scope of work.
- ivil Society Organizations in Nepal – diverse stakeholders, number and perception of other stakeholders; status of legitimate, accountable and resilient Nepali civil society ; status of GESI in CSOs
- Policy environment
Section 2: Rationale, objective, methodology and limitations of the study
Section 3: Significant contribution of CSOs in national development (with case studies and evidences)
- Democracy and good governance promotion
- Empowerment of marginalized sections of society – GESI including promotion of economic, social and cultural rights
- Delivery of services and development endeavors including livelihood promotion
- Networking and knowledge management
- At least 15-20 of cases relating to CSO contribution will be included
Section 4: Challenges of CSOs
Section 5: Recommendations for improving CSOs role in social and human development
- Enabling legal and policy framework
- Public understanding and confidence on role of CSOs
- Internal good governance of CSOs
- Achieving of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Brief notes of consultations and focus group discussions
|Please check vacancy details.|
|M.S.W. (Masters in Social Work)|
|15 Jun, 17|
|29 Jun, 17|