In line with its principle of assisting people towards self-reliance, Help works together with people in need, irrespective of their gender, age, political views or religious beliefs, by providing immediate aid in the aftermath of disasters and by making sustainable contributions to reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts in all areas of life. Help’s underlying long-term objective is to reduce the vulnerability of communities to new conflicts or extreme natural disasters. People and the preservation of human dignity are the focus of everything Help does.
Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. (hereinafter called as Help e.V.) is a German non-governmental organization providing worldwide humanitarian assistance and development aid since more than 30 years. Help e.V. has been part of the post-earthquake emergency response in Nepal and is implementing its assistance programme in Sindhupalchowk district supporting School Reconstruction, WASH, DRR and Livelihood Recovery. To this intent, the organization is seeking an efficient, motivated and well experienced candidate to fill the position of WASH Officer.
Based in Ward 13 and 14, Chautara Sanghachowkgadhi Municipality, Sindhupalchowk District, Nepal
To provide technical capacity for HELP humanitarian and development response programme, enhancing the resilience of earthquake affected population in Thulosirubari VDC, Sindhupalchok District, trough assistance in reconstruction, WASH and livelihoods recovery (Phase II).
WASH officer’s job purpose in the targeted project locations is: to manage, provide technical input and implementation of WASH activities through partners under the supervision of the WASH Coordinator
Post holder reports to:WASH Coordinator Nepal
- Support the planningof the WASH programme, specifically the development of water points and sanitation infrastructure as well as hygiene promotion
- Conduct need assessments, technical assessments and surveys
- Prepare detailed design and estimates of Gravity flow and Lifting systems
- Prepare technical drawings, Bill of Quantities, cost estimates, technical specifications for CGD friendly school toilets and Public latrines
- Know perfectly, respect and ensure strict compliance with the National Building Code and earthquake resistant techniques
- Ensure KAP surveys and hygiene promotional activities are carried out properly
- Other duties as assigned by WASH coordinator
- Monitor and supervise the implementation of the planned interventions by the WASH team, involving communities, contractors, partners and local authorities in the activities as appropriate.
- Work with the national staff, local partners and government authorities such as Health Department, Water Authorities and relevant departments.
- Systematically assess the quality of work and its impact, whether completed or not, and if necessary make changes to ensure that quality standards (national, HELP and Sphere in humanitarian contexts) are met.
- Participate in relevant meetings with the local and district authorities, cluster meetings or other relevant technical groups at field level
- Maintain regular communication with partner agencies and ensure that relevant information is fed into the project teams
- Ensure project documentation of each activities
- Ensure key commitments with communities and partners are achievable and respected
- Report regularly; orally and in writingto the WASH Coordinator
- Technically coordinate with the WASH Coordinator on the progress of implementation and challenges encountered against targets set, highlighting constraints and proposed solutions to resolve the issues.
Skills and qualification
- Bachelor’s Degree in water related field, Civil Engineering background preferred
- Minimum 3 years work experience in the water sector of which 1 years in humanitarian/development agencies
- Good knowledge on hydraulic designs,cost estimate, bill of quantity and tender process
- Experience in lifting projects, Rain-Water Harvesting and underground tanks will be an asset
- Experience in supervising construction and infrastructure works
- Good ability in civil engineering designs and drawings
- Knowledge of physical, chemical and microbiological testing of water will also be an asset
- Flexibility, resourcefulness and good communication skills
- Intermediate computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel in particular). Good skill on technical drawing software (AutoCAD)
- Ability to facilitate trainings and workshops for technical staff, artisan and community members
- Willing to work in humanitarian programmes and to travel to remote & difficult areas
- Ability to represent HELP at WASH Cluster and other relevant meetings
- Diplomacy, tact, and cultural sensitivity
- Strong negotiating skills to work with both local governmental representatives and local beneficiaries
- Good written and spoken English is essential
- Ability to present concise and clear reports and presentations at short notice addressing operational activities and needs/problems and related solutions/recommendations.
- Commitment to the aims and beliefs of HELP including humanitarian principles and action and to HELP’s equal opportunity and gender policies
Conract Duration: 6 months
This job description is not incorporated in the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments and following discussion with the post holder. The post-holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives, which should facilitate achievement of the responsibilities in accordance with the performance review process.
Applications are invited from Nepali citizen and needed to apply with cover letter and updated CV by 4th March, 2018 via email in firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only the short listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
|Full Time / Contract|
|Please check vacancy details.|
|Please check vacancy details|
|19 Feb, 18|
|04 Mar, 18|